Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• USCIS / Signature on the Certificate of Naturalization

Hello everyone,

A month ago I received my Certificate of Naturalization and I/We was/were told by the officer that represented me/us in the court that not to sign on the certificate itself, only on the picture(currently my signature presents on the picture), otherwise it will become illegal document and I/we must go thru the headache process and to pay another $700+.

Now, i did schedule an appointment with USPS for a passport service. USPS told me that I need to sign on the original certificate of naturalization. I did explain the situation that I/we was/were told on the ceremony about the signature, but USPS said that I/we must sign on the original document on the field for the signature. So, I just grabbed my documents and left.

So, called to USCIS and they told me I need to schedule an appointment. Scheduled an appointment with USCIS on August 13, 2018. Spent almost 2+ hours to get to a clerk only, and in addition 30+ minutes to get to a conclusion.
    After a short talking to him, he said let's talk to his manager, and then to talk to a manager of the manager. So, the conclusion was made that I/we must sign on the Original Certificate of Naturalization according to them. So, here is some miscommunication between the two organizations. I didn't sign on my certificate yet.

Here are the questions:

1) Was anyone told the same way that I described above?
    2) Do we really need to sign on the original certificate of naturalization?
    3) Any other ways to get the passport service?

Thanks in advance.

I was asked to sign my certificate of naturalization back in May when I got it, picture and the line at the top. There was actually an error with mine that I didn't notice until I went to the social security office to update my citizenship status, so I had to file an N-565 for a replacement, filed it the second week of June and I received a new one earlier this month. It came with instruction to sign the document or it would not be valid. You are asked to sign your name at the top on the line as well as on the picture. The only way you can get your passport is with the certificate and it has to be signed.

Comment

Originally posted by NJNaturalized View Post
      I was asked to sign my certificate of naturalization back in May when I got it, picture and the line at the top. There was actually an error with mine that I didn't notice until I went to the social security office to update my citizenship status, so I had to file an N-565 for a replacement, filed it the second week of June and I received a new one earlier this month. It came with instruction to sign the document or it would not be valid. You are asked to sign your name at the top on the line as well as on the picture. The only way you can get your passport is with the certificate and it has to be signed.
      thank you.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
      X