Green card expired

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Green card expired

Hello everyone! My green card already expired and my interview is gonna be in the next 3 weeks. Is it possible to bring that expired green card to the interview without having the stamp I 551? I was trying to make an appointment in the past couple weeks to get that stamp but it seemed impossible to get it! Has anyone experienced with expired green card to interview? Thanks in advance.

They will probably ask to see your green caredat your naturalization interview. Your explanation is not only truthful, but understandable. Just tell the truth when asked.

I had one student you went into the interview with an expired green card. It did not cause any delay for him.
    Every I.O. is different, so do what you wish.

IMHO, and this is purely my opinion, you will be O.K.

I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice.

Comment

AM
      About Green card expired I am in the same situation with my 10 year green card. Did you have your interview? Did you have any problem going to the interview without the stamp? Thank you so much!

Comment

Rachelkang, any updates from you on how the interview went? Did interview go ok with expired card?

Comment

Hello! Sorry for the late response. And yes, I went to the interview and the officer was really nice. She didn’t ask anything about my expired green card nor the stamp as well. The interview went pretty smoothly so don’t worry guys. Good luck to everyone.

Comment

For the benefit of the group:
            An expired green card only means that the card itself has expired and not the status.
            If you are within weeks of your interview just take the "expired" green card with you. The officer will be verifying your credentials in the system anyways.
            Problems only arise when you do not have the green card in your possession (lost or stolen). In such cases, the USCIS almost always requires you to file an I-90 and have that receipt as proof.
            Opinion only. Cannot be construed as legal advice.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
            X