Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Iam taking my US Citizen daughter to india once for all

Hi

Me and my husband have decided to go back to india once for all next year. My daughter is born here and so she is US citizen by birth.
    She has a US passport. She would be 1yr old next yr.
    Now if we take her to india, We are a bit anxious about status there?

Can any of you share your experience / thoughts with me.
    I have few questions in my mind

1. Will she face any problems in school and college admission
    2. Will her US citizenship cease because she is going to be out of US for a long time
    3. I know she is going to decide her citizenship when she is 18. But what about her status before that. What is India's dual citizenship policy?
    4. Is there any other discussion forum that is specifically for discussing this issue?

Please give your advise

thanks in advance for your reply
    Pisa

Originally posted by Pisa
    1. Will she face any problems in school and college admission
    The schools can charge her higher fees as a foreign citizen. It's an individual matter for each school, so you should inquire about the particular schools you are interested in.

2. Will her US citizenship cease because she is going to be out of US for a long time
    No. There are no residency requirements for a US-born person to retain US citizenship.

3. I know she is going to decide her citizenship when she is 18. But what about her status before that. What is India's dual citizenship policy?
    If you had got her an Indian passport instead of a US one, she would have kept both Indian and US citizenship. But now that you got her a US passport, she has lost Indian citizenship and you will need to get her a PIO card.

4. Is there any other discussion forum that is specifically for discussing this issue?
    I have been discussing Indian status for US-born children here:

Hope this helps,

Tamtom

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
    X