Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Register with Selective Service

Hi,

I am trying to fill out the N-400 for my husband, but I got stuck with question #33.
    The question is: Are you a male who lived in the US at any time between your 18th and 26th birtdays in any status EXCEPT as a lowful nonimmigrant?

Can anyone tell me what that question means. My husband was in the US at those years, but he entered the country legally (on a visa), but when the visa expred he stayed illigally. So was he requred to register with Selective Service or no?
    PLEASE HELP ME

Most likely YES.

Check this chart: https://www.immihelp.com/register-fo...ervice-in-usa/
    Disclaimer: The information you obtain from me at this forum is not, nor is it intended to be, legal advice. You should consult an attorney for individual advice regarding your own situation.

Comment

Well here it also says: Immigrants who dod not enter the United States or maintained their lawful non-immigrant status by continually remaining on a valid visa until after they were 26 years old were never requred to register.

Any ideas?

Comment

They don't know!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Did he enter the USA before his 26th birthday and overstayed his visa? becoming an illegal alien... then, he should have registered.
          Disclaimer: The information you obtain from me at this forum is not, nor is it intended to be, legal advice. You should consult an attorney for individual advice regarding your own situation.

Comment

Yes, he did overstayed his visa.
            So, now I have to attach a letter saying why he did not register right?

He is currently 33 ys old, and I read that probably not registering will not affect applying citizenship.

What should I put as a explanation on that letter? Any ideas? HELP

Comment

CITIZENSHIP
              The U.S. Immigration and Naturalization Service (INS) makes registration with Selective Service a condition for U.S. citizenship if the man first arrived in the U.S. before his 26th birthday.

extract from the SSS.gov website.

You can not be granted citizenship if you failed to register. You may be able to obtain a waiver, but that is outside of my field of expertise.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
              X