Citizenship eligibility

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Citizenship eligibility

I have a green card. I have a question about my citizenship eligibility. I spent 5 months outside the USA. Do those days, I spent outside the USA can be count for my citizenship eligibility?

Originally posted by MMPL View Post
    I have a green card. I have a question about my citizenship eligibility. I spent 5 months outside the USA. Do those days, I spent outside the USA can be count for my citizenship eligibility?
    Hi

NO... as long as it was not over 6 moths meaning 180 days they wont count that . but once its passed 6 months -180 days your whole year will be gone and that year will be considered as ZERO residency.

So the year you spent 5 month outside USA is still a whole year and you lost nothing .......

Good Luck

Comment

Originally posted by Totellthetruth View Post

Hi

NO... as long as it was not over 6 moths meaning 180 days they wont count that .but once its passed 6 months -180 days your whole year will be gone and that year will be considered as ZERO residency.

So the year you spent 5 month outside USA is still a whole year and you lost nothing .......

Good Luck
      Thank you for sharing information. Correct me If I am wrong. I can spend up to 179 days in other countries out of 365 days without losing my whole year. And my year start from day when I first landed to united states for example in my case March-2018.

If it is correct then I will book my next vacation for at least 170 days..!!

Comment

Originally posted by MMPL View Post

Thank you for sharing information. Correct me If I am wrong. I can spend up to 179 days in other countries out of 365 days without losing my whole year. And my year start from day when I first landed to united states for example in my case March-2018.

If it is correct then I will book my next vacation for at least 170 days..!!
        While you can do so, you would not want to give the immigration officer at PoE the impression that you are not really living in the USA. if you are applying Citizenship based on 5 years rule, you have to be in the USA for more than half of that period, AND each absence is no longer than 6 months.

Better err on the side of caution, else you have to re-apply again and waste all the time and money just for some trips that you could have cut short.

Comment

Hi,
          I need your help, please.
          Married 03/01/2016.
          Green Card 08/29/2016
          Traveled and worked in Belize 03/10/2017-12/15/2017 with my husband. Never stayed longer than six months, visited the USA frequently, kept house, was payed in USA by American company, payed taxes.
          When can I apply?

1-05/31/2019 (after three years due to marriage minus three months)
          2-12/16/2019 two years one day rule?????
          3-05/16/2020 two years six months one day rule - totally confused about tgat
          4-wait full three years after we can back minus the three months so 09/16/2020

any help is much appreciated!
          Last edited by AnnaGDorazio; 05-02-2019, 04:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by AnnaGDorazio View Post
            Hi,
            I need your help, please.
            Married 03/01/2016.
            Green Card 08/29/2016
            Traveled and worked in Belize 03/10/2017-12/15/2017 with my husband. Never stayed longer than six months, visited the USA frequently, kept house, was payed in USA by American company, payed taxes.
            When can I apply?

1-05/31/2019 (after three years due to marriage minus three months)
            2-12/16/2019 two years one day rule?????
            3-05/16/2020 two years six months one day rule - totally confused about tgat
            4-wait full three years after we can back minus the three months so 09/16/2020

any help is much appreciated!
            Naturalization requirements
            1. be married to USC for 3 years
            2. the same USC as spouse
            3. been LPR for 3 years.
            4. be in the USA for more than half of the 3 years period

So right now you have fulfilled 1-3, but i am not sure of 4.

When did you last enter USA and are you in the USA right now? Is it more than half of 3 years?

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
            X