Oath ceremony descheduled!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oath ceremony descheduled!!

Up until a couple days ago my naturalization process has been going smoothly, i had my interview and test, passed and was reccomended for citizenship, i got an oath letter date in the mail around march 20th. My scheduled oath ceremony was for april 18th at 8.30 am in Alexandria, va, an hour or so from where i live. I get to the oath ceremony location, and wait in line with hundreds of people, stood there for probably and hour and a half to 2 hours. Finally get inside and hand over my paper and greencard and was told to go to resolutions desk. The lady asks me what is the problem and i tell her i have no idea! She looks my name up in this packet of papers, and i notice my name is there, with a line through it. Immediately i feel a sense of worry. She tells me that i was sent to the wrong ceremony location and asks if they had contacted me. Obviously i hadnt had anyone contact me, i would never have driven an hour and some down there and stood in line for 2 hours with my whole family! I was so shocked and upset i didnt ask as many questions as i should have. I did ask her why did this happen and she says i was sent to wrong district based on where i live. Ugh!! So i leave, bawling my eyes out and feeling so upset and confused. I call uscis and speak to somebody and they tell me i should have had a phone call telling me this- and i have had none. The person on the phone proceeds to tell me on my account it states my ceremony was descheduled- yet i had just checked my account 2 days prior and seen NOTHING! i get home, check my mail, nothing. The next day check mail again and lo and behold, a letter from uscis in there, stating the descheduled ceremony. Great- one day AFTER my oath ceremony i received this. I call uscis again they tell me they have no record of them even sending out this letter, although it is stated on my account. So confused, right now. And no answer as to why it was really descheduled! Has anything similar happened to anyone ?? How long should it take for a new ceremony letter? If i dont get something in a week or so i will make an infopass appointment, but really hoping i hear something before ! So disappointed!

This happened to me as well, on April 4 in Alexandria Va, with a phone call on the morning of the day of the ceremony, but that does not make things much better at all. That phone call was followed with an email confirming the cancellation. Reason given was pending biometrics issue. But I called USCIS and the court, both said my ceremony is on schedule. I went anyways, expecting things might not go. I asked the USCIS officer there about my situation, they see my name crossed out in the list and one advisor told me this happens and it's nothing of my fault and there's nothing I could do but just go home and wait. It's been over two weeks and still nothing. Can we keep each other posted?

Comment

Hi! Thanks for the reply- yes, i will keep you posted. I called uscis and talked to someone twice, once after the ceremony day and then again today. They have no explanation as to why this happened. The only thing i was told was i could 1. Make an appointment at the fairfax office, or 2. Wait 90 days past my interview date then call again. Very frustrating. Especially since i go online to try and make an infopass appointment and there are never any available!

Comment

Also- pingsmile- you say they told you it was a biometrics issue- that is ridiculous, why on earth would they give you an oath ceremony date if they were not fully finished with the biometrics part? I am starting to think it could also be something of that sort on my end too. When i got my name changed on my greencard, years ago, i had to go back to biometrics about 3 or 4 times before they had successfully gotten decent fingerprints! Wonder if thats the case again. You would think they wouldnt give someone an oath date before anything else had been finished!

Comment

I was told by one officer at the ceremony that they run the list again with FBI 24-48 hours before the oath and most come back in time but a few do not. I vaguely remember another officer told me that there might be multiple people under the same name and that might have caused the delay. I have no clue what the true story is. I've also tried scheduling for infopass but multiple people have told me it's of no use even if you get one. My letter to the senator was responded asking me to wait another 30 days. If I don't have to travel multiple long-haul international trips in the summer, I wouldn't worry at all and would just let it be. But it now looks likely that I may have to travel +20 hours back just for the ceremony. Let's hope they don't do it again!

Comment

You Guys are still lucky because you live in the US. our ceremony for the kids got cancelled before we even got the letter of invitation otherwise it would costed us $15K just to travel to the US.

We have applied for our 2 kids N600K form (Grand Parent as a petitioner) last year in July 2018 because we live overseas and my wife doesn't meet the requirement to apply my kids citizenship on her basis.

Our status got updated in late Jan to "In line for scheduling interview".

My father in law (kids grandfather living in the US) received a letter 3 days ago saying San Fran Local office has scheduled a Citizenship Ceremony on 29th of April 2019 which was ridiculous because we are living overseas and they gave us only 4 days notice to show-up to the US. Letter was send on 19th of April received on 24th of April.

The second part which is confusing in that letter, USCIS asking for kids Green Card. People who are applying for n600k form don't require to show green card because they are claiming citizenship through Grandparents with section 322 but letter stats that we must bring their green card.

The third part which through us off completely is that they cancelled appointment yesterday on 25th of April by sending an email "Your ceremony has been cancelled on the date above, please disregard the letter I mailed both of you and do not come to USCIS on that date. You will be scheduled at a later date." Although, you guys might think we are lucky which we do feel but I think if they will do it again the same thing and this if we will book our tickets and they will cancel the ceremony.

Things, I have done so far to get my head around this mess:
            1. Checked the online status of the case which still states "In line for scheduling interview"
            2. Called USCIS and asked for an explanation what is going on and basically got no decent reply, First they were not even aware that a ceremony was scheduled then they said you will be scheduled and you will have to show-up on that date regardless where you are coming from.
            3. Emailed back San Fran local office but no reply.
            My wild guess is USCIS Local office got confused between N-600 and N600K forms or mistakenly processed our form as N600 form and realised after few days and cancelled the appointment

Has anyone faced this situation ever? if yes then what steps you took? and if no then what do you guys suggest?

Thanks for reading this post. Any help would be great.

Comment

@Lk88 @pingsmile
              Please update your experience, when did you have ceremony finally?

Comment

Hello! I appreciate your response and promise to keep you updated. I spoke with someone on the phone with USCIS twice: today and the day following the ceremony. They are unable to explain why this occurred. I was only given two options: 1. Schedule an appointment at the Fairfax office; or 2. Call me back once 90 days have passed since my interview date. Very frustrating. especially because I try to schedule an infopass appointment online but there are never any openings!

Comment

How long did it take between interview and oath letter?

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                  X