Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Citizenship for Minor Resident with USC Father

Hey there so I have a weird situation.

I have an 11 year old boy, born when I was 21 so out of wedlock and never got married with his mom, but since he was a baby he would live with me in Costa Rica. I moved to the US 5 years ago and since I am US Citizen (born abroad) wanted to give him the US Citizenship to him as well.

When I went to the US Embassy in Costa Rica like 7 years ago when I was getting him a B2 Visa so we could go to Disneyland and at the embassy everybody told me to just give him the US Citizenship if I move to the US.

Fast forward to today, my kid is a US Resident with his Green Card for 10 years and he lives with me in the US. In theory I should be able to apply for his US Passport since he covers the requirements to do so

children under 18 automatically acquire U.S. citizenship if three requirements are met.[LIST][*]The child must have U.S. lawful permanent resident status (

What is your question? Your post seems to have been cut off. Yes, you should be able to apply for his US passport. You would need to show that he is living in your legal custody.

This is my personal opinion and is not to be construed as legal advice.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
    X