Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• N-400 Interview De-scheduled

Greetings,

I recently got a letter from USCIS informing me that my interview has been de-scheduled due to unforeseen circumstances. Not quite sure what to make out of this. Has this happened to anyone else?

Here is the timeline for my application -

Background - Indian citizen, living in Oklahoma, got my permanent residency issue on August 19, 2014.

May 21, 2019 - Electronically filed for citizenship through uscis.gov

May 24, 2019 - Got a notice about biometrics being scheduled for June 11, 2019

June 11, 2019 - Went in for biometrics

August 1, 2019 - Got a notice for an interview and civics test for September 20, 2019

August 27, 2019 - Got a notice informing me that due to unforeseen circumstances my interview has been de-scheduled

Oddly enough, the status on the website still says that I was sent a notice on August 1st for the interview. The case completion time is still showing as 3 months (December 2019). I suppose this isn't accurate. The source of truth is probably the letter itself (I-797C).

That said, do I have any option of finding out the actual reason my interview got canceled? Any insights would be appreciated.

Thanks!

There are several reasons an interview may be cancelled.

a) staff illness or staff quitting
    b) If the interview was scheduled in advance (assuming the background check would be completed) but now there is a delay with the background check for some reason
    c) maybe the whole office is getting further and further behind so they need to delay people while they try to catch up
    d) others?

I doubt if you will get a meaningful explanation explaining why the interview has been delayed. USCIS are not customer-oriented these days.

The interview cannot happen until the background check is completed. Also, once they give you the interview, they are tied into a 120 deadline which forces them to approve or deny your case within the next 120 days. One way to avoid tying themselves into the 120 deadline is to avoid the interview in the first place.

$0.02

Comment

Yep. I figured as much. All I can do now is wait.

I sent them a note through USCIS. Doubt they will respond. We shall see. I will post back if I have an update.

Comment

I was wondering if there is any point in showing on September 20th for the interview was scheduled just in case, and at the very least I might get a chance to talk to the officer or something. Any thoughts on this?

Comment

PatchRowcester any update on your case. I had the same issue.
          thank you

Comment

I have (my son) exactly same issue, sent a message no response yet in my inbox. The field office is M***aukee, Wisconsin

Update:
            under Case history:
            "December 7, 2019 We transferred your application to another USCIS field office for review

You do not need to do anything at this time

View your letter on your documents tab for an explanation on why we transferred your application.

Note: It may take up to a few days for your letter to show on your documents tab."

todate (Jan 12 2020) they did not mail any I797 nor posted this letter online.

sent message again on 12.10.19

message response (mosty boilerplate response (standard) response below cut and pasted:
            "Dear .....,

Thank you for your inquiry dated December 17, 2019.

Requesting information about your N-400, Application for Naturalization:

Our systems show that your Interview was canceled on November 13, 2019. We will notify you of any further action taken on your case. We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.

If you are rescheduled for an Interview, you can view and print a copy of your appointment notice by going to your USCIS online account. After you log in to your account, access the Home Tab to find the "Documents" field to view or print your official appointment notice from USCIS.

Please note that extended trips outside the United States may prevent you from naturalizing. For more information on the continuous residence required for naturalization, click here.

If you need more assistance with your USCIS online filing system account, please submit another inquiry to the USCIS Contact Center at https://my.uscis.gov/account/v1/needhelp or log into your online account for specific case inquiries and contact us at https://my.uscis.gov/account/v1/inbox.

If you move remember to update your address in the USCIS online filing system or contact the USCIS Contact Center at https://my.uscis.gov/account/v1/needhelp or log into your online account for specific case inquiries and contact us at https://my.uscis.gov/account/v1/inbox. You must also update your address using our online tool at uscis.gov/addresschange.

In the future, you can visit myaccount.uscis.dhs.gov to sign up for a USCIS online account where you can explore filing online, send us secure messages and get instant updates on the status of your case. You can see your account information and make inquiries any time and on any device.

We hope this information is helpful."
            Last edited by mdot2610; 01-12-2020, 11:15 PM.

Comment

PatchRowcester Can you please post your experience? Did your interview ever get rescheduled? It'd tremendously help me and others. My interview got scheduled and de-scheduled simultaneously and upon calling, the USCIS tier 1 officer told me that it is a system error on their part and it has nothing to do with my application. He said they should reschedule "soon" but it has been more than a month. Just like in your case, my case status is still saying that my interview has been scheduled. My wife's case status also changed at the same exact time and luckily, in her case, it got scheduled for 5 days later than when my interview was originally scheduled.

Thank you!

Comment

mdot2610 Any update in your son's case? When was the interview de-scheduled? Where did you send the message? Let's keep posting here so we can track these cases. Thanks!

Comment

Hello All,

I am in the same boat as you guys.
                  I filed my application for N400 in May 8th 2019
                  I had my interview scheduled for October 21st, on the day of the interview I was told we don't have your file so your interview is cancelled. I was pissed cz I wasted a vacation day for this.
                  I called USCIS few times, the answer is basically your case is still in the process time and you have to wait for the new letter that will include your re-scheduled date for the interview.

My file is still at the NBC.So just wait now there is nothing you can do.

Comment

amitiitk see my update in #6. On your "my USCIS" page/ USCIS online account under "Resources" (top right corner) pull down menu: "send a message". they will respond to your question/query under "My Account/ Inbox" same location at top right corner

P.S.: my wife and I both have citizenship interview, next Wednesday Jan 15 2020, same time! I am thinking they will take our interview together as we have to show our original documents (for instance there is only one ORIGINAL marriage certificate). Once we approved probably then they will reschedule my adult son interview.
                    More update later after Jan 15 2020
                    Last edited by mdot2610; 01-12-2020, 11:45 PM.

Comment

Hey! any updates on your case? It's been more than 8 months my interview was descheduled and I have yet to receive any updates on my case. I'm totally lost. Can someone please help me what should I do in this case. Thanks in advance.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                      X