Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• proof for name change - middle name

Hi,

Would anyone know if marriage certificate (with old name- no middle name and maiden last name) is enough proof for both new middle name and lines last name?

When we we got married, I chose to change my old (maiden) last name into middle name, and took my husband’s last name. Now wondering if that will be enough proof for N400 submission. Any help is appreciated thank you!

I'm not sure what you are asking..

If you want to formally change your name as part of the N400 process.. you can change it to anything you want just by saying what you want the new name to be. A name change means that your oath will need to be before a Federal Judge instead of a vanilla oath ceremony. This may cause a slight delay in scheduling the final oath because there are fewer oath ceremonies scheduled in front of a judge versus the vanilla ceremonies.

If you are not asking about that but are asking about proving that your current name is "first name" followed by "maiden name" followed by husband's "surname"... then I'm not sure of the details at the Federal level (see below for State level). I doubt if it's a big deal because many people do that and other people sometimes hyphenate their maiden name with their husband's surname. I wouldn't worry too much about it.

The other thing I've noticed in the USA is that middle names tend to be ignored and relegated to simply being an initial. Many documents don't even ask about middle names or initials. Where I come from, middle names are truly part of your official name... in the USA they are almost an unimportant afterthought.

All in all, I don't think you'll be asked to "prove" your middle name... especially since it is clearly your previous maiden-name. Anyone at the USCIS with any common sense should understand that and be familiar with it and treat it as no big deal.

If you google for "Legal Name USA" you'll see a couple of articles describing the details.

From W-i-k-i-pedia ...

United States

Most states in the United States follow the common law which permits name changing for non-fraudulent purposes. This is actually the most common method, since most women who marry do not petition a court under the statutorily prescribed method, but simply use a new name (typically the husband's, a custom which started under the theory of coverture where a woman lost her identity and most rights when she married).[17]

Most state courts have held that a legally assumed name (i.e., for a non-fraudulent purpose) is a legal name and usable as their true name, though assumed names are often not considered the person's technically true name.[18]
    Last edited by N400questions; 10-20-2019, 12:09 PM.

Comment

Yes it's the second situation, I was afraid they'll want proof of middle name. Thank you!

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
      X