Mixed Insurance Banners Health Insurance for Visitors to USA

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does this count as 5 years residency for citizenship?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does this count as 5 years residency for citizenship?

Permanent resident since 8/25/2014.
    From that day, until 1/2/2016, I continued working overseas, but I came to the US every 5 1/2 months, for 2 weeks duration each visit.
    On 1/2/2016 I moved to the US for a new job and have not changed jobs since then.
    I have been in the US since then (I took 8 vacations overseas spread-out since Jan/2016, each 1 week in duration).

I want to become a citizen. I've read a lot of rules here and there but now I'm really confused.
    - Can I apply now (since it's been over 5 years from date of residency status)?
    - Does the 4 year and 1 day "rule" apply in this case So I would be able to apply on 1/3/2020)?
    - Or do I need to wait a full 5 years from 1/2/2016 and apply on 1/2/2021?

Also, is that initial period from 9/2014 to 1/2016 considered an extended leave? If I came to the US every 5 1/2 months during that period? Considering also that there is some initial period allowed for people to find a job and move to the US.

Thank you!

One of the questions, when you are filing N-400 online, is "have you traveled abroad for more than 6 months at any time during the past 5 years".
    From what I understand, people that traveled for more than 6 months can't count that year for citizenship.

These are 2 of the requirements that you need:
    • Demonstrate continuous residence in the United States for at least 5 years immediately preceding the date of filing Form N-400.
    • Show that you have been physically present in the United States for at least 30 months out of the 5 years immediately preceding the date of filing Form N-400.
    I don't know anything about the 4 years and 1 day rule.

I think if you set your residence in the United States since you became a GC holder (have an address, pay taxes, etc.) more than 5 years ago and physically more than 2.5 years, you are good to go now.

You can create an account and file online. https://www.uscis.gov/n-400
    Nov 2018 - Package sent - EB - Texas Service Center
    Day 1 - Package received at the lockbox
    Day 999 - Card delivered to me - Aug 2021
    ---
    All my posts are based on my experience or information I read on the forums or the USCIS website. I may be wrong. Please consult a professional.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
    X