Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Naturalization - broke residency?

Hello everyone,

I am seeking some help about my situation. I have been a Green Card holder since August 2015 and got my conditions removed on it in April 2019 (10 years GC). According to the website of the USCIS I can apply for the US Naturalization at the end of May 2020. However, I am having trouble to figure out this point: "Demonstrate continuous residence in the United States for at least 5 years immediately preceding the date of filing Form N-400.". At first, I thought that the applicant must have not lost his/her residency (Green Card) right in the last 5 years preceding the date of filing. But while reading online, it seems that it is related to the presence on the US soil as a resident during that time. This is where it gets complicated for me.

I work for a US company. In August of 2017, I was sent to Europe to help rebuild the team there and I was paid in Euro/under the local tax. I stayed in Europe from 08/2017 until 04/2018 (7.5 months). I returned to the US for a week; basically for work. Then, I was in Europe again from 04/2018 until 02/2019 (11 months). Same thing, I returned to the US a week for work. I finished in Europe from 03/2019 to 05/2019. During that time, I kept a bank account in the US, I filed/paid my US taxes and worked for my US employer.

I guess my questions are simple. Do you think I broke my residency? Is it worth it to apply for the US citizenship? If not, when will I be able to apply?

Thank you for your help.

This may help answer your questions:
    These tips can help you find what you are looking for: Check the URL (web address) for proper spelling and completeness; Use our
    Nov 2018 - Package sent - EB - Texas Service Center
    Day 1 - Package received at the lockbox
    Day 999 - Card delivered to me - Aug 2021
    ---
    All my posts are based on my experience or information I read on the forums or the USCIS website. I may be wrong. Please consult a professional.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
    X