Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Declaring decades-old (paid) parking ticket on Question #23 N-400

Hi,

I have had a green card for almost 19 years and was filing my n-400.

Almost 20 years ago, my vehicle got a citation for being parked at a meter (which turned out was not permitted during rush hour) in that city. I appealed and the judge reduced my fine to $25 (half the original amount) because I did not visit the city often (actually at all before then). I paid by cash (likely) on the spot or check but I have no record of the payment. I believe that the original ticket/citation needed to be turned in at the hearing and I did not think to make a copy. All I have is the original hearing record (which has my then vehicle state and plate number, the "notice number" which I guess is the ticket number). The Respondent's name is left blank.

I have no other traffic tickets (speeding or parking otherwise) or other citations/arrests/etc. My question is: should I declare this parking ticket? I like being upfront (and assuming that a parking ticket/vehicle citation is the same as the individual getting cited) but how were I to get documentation to prove that I paid or even details of the instance after so many years? In fact, I don't even remember the actual date (and the hearing record only has the date of the hearing, not the date of the infraction). However, I remember the week that the parking infraction happened and that it was towards the end of the week. My worry is that putting this information on the n-400 will mean that I have to provide documentation of the parking ticket and the payment, both of which, I don't know if I have any way to obtaining after almost 20 years.

Btw, Page 21 of the following, available from the Immigrant Legal Resource Center, says that "A parking ticket is not a traffic citation or moving volation."

I don't know how authoritative this is.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by aarem; 02-25-2020, 05:19 PM. Reason: added resource

you dont have to mention it on N400.but on the day of your interview ,disclose this to officer during the interview.Why i said that is because they know everything about you and will want to know if you will be honest enough to disclose it .
    Last edited by damo2020; 02-26-2020, 01:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by damo2020 View Post
      you dont have to mention it on N400.but on the day of your interview ,disclose this to officer during the interview.Why i said is because they know everything about you and will want to know if you will be honest enough to disclose it .
      Thanks, is it better to not include it from the N-400 but disclose to the office during the interview? Or should I just mention it on N400? It would have been helpful if the official instructions were a bit clearer. Thanks very much again!

Comment

I got a 68$ parking ticket in CA a week before interview, paid, and verbally mentioned to officer, who did not care.
        Also, I missed to mention a dismissed red light right turn citation (dismissed by court, therefore $0 penalty) in the form, did not mention to office, and officer did not ask in interview.

ANyway, as someone else said - maybe just mention to officer and no need to enter in form anyway.

Specially since the n400 intructions pdf (search online) page 13-14 covers this "You do not need to submit documentation for traffic fines or incidents that did not involve an arrest or did not
        involve drugs or alcohol, if the only penalty was a fine of less than $500 or points on your driving record."

All the best

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
        X