Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about n400 naturulazition form

Hello everybody,

I really need help to answer this question... I don't know what should I pick it.

I came to the states in the age of 22 as a legal F1 Student Visa and I got my green card age of 26 with marriage. if I say correctly I got my green card 44 days before to my 26th birthday. I never have gotten an email from Selective Service or anything. I am so confused I don't know what should I do.

I really appreciate it for your responses in advance.

Question is :
    Are you a male who lived in the United States at any time between your 18th and 26th birthdays?

This does not include living in the United States as a lawful nonimmigrant.

YES or NO....

It is ok. You have no choice but telling the truth. That is the best strategy. I don’t feel like they are gonna deny citizenship just for this. I am not really sure how the process of registering for selective services work but tell them you didn’t know about this rule and you didn’t receive any notice.
    most of them are more compassionate than you think.

Comment

Actually you lived 44 days in US as a lawful permanent resident between your 18th and 26th birthday which need selected service registration, and before green card you was lawful nonimmigrant which does not need. I think maybe it is better you register now if it is possible with some delay.

Comment

Did you check with the Selective Service to see if you were registered? You can check online. It’s entirely possible that you were registered by USCIS but did not get the notice.

Comment

The answer to that question is Yes.

But you may have been automatically registered. In the I-485 application, there is a part that says you agree for them to automatically register you if you are male between 18 and 26. So you should check if you were registered.

Also, even if you did not register, it does not affect your naturalization now, since you are probably at least 31 (if you are applying under the 5-year rule) or at least 29 (if you are applying under the 3-year rule), and thus the failure to register is outside the statutory period.

And even if you are slightly under 31 (or 29) because you are applying for naturalization as soon as you can, the failure to register still does not affect your naturalization, because USCIS was supposed to register you when your AOS was approved: "Failure on the part of USCIS or SSS to complete the process on behalf of the applicant, however, will not constitute a willful failure to register on the part of the applicant."

This is my personal opinion and is not to be construed as legal advice.

Comment

Just remember if you have a Drivers License, you have automatically been registered for Selective services. Which was my case! At the DMV they would have to register you in order to give you a drivers license.

so check with them — you may have been registered and you don’t even know

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
            X