Mixed Insurance Banners Health Insurance for Visitors to USA


No announcement yet.

Green Card to Naturalization

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Green Card to Naturalization


    I have my green card employment-based and I know I need 5 years until I apply for citizenship. I got married recently, and I know If you are married to a citizen then you can apply for citizenship in 2 years. My question:
    How can I change my green card from employment-based to marriage based? If I can't, can I still file my N400 after 2 years and not 5???

    Thanks in Advance

  • #2
    You can naturalize under the 3-year rule if: 1) you have been a permanent resident for at least 3 years (can file 90 days before reaching this), 2) you have been married for at least 3 years, and 3) your spouse has been a US citizen for at least 3 years. What category you immigrated on is irrelevant. So basically, in your case, you would qualify for naturalization under the 3-year rule 3 years after your marriage. That would only be faster than the 5-year rule if you have been a permanent resident for less than 2 years.

    This is my personal opinion and is not to be construed as legal advice.


    • #3
      Thanks for your answer, that was really helpful.