tax transcript help plz

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tax transcript help plz

Hello everyone i have been living in USA for 12 years on a greencard and now i decided to finnaly become a US citizen ,

My lawyer told me i need 3 years of tax transcript to start the process (i am married to a us citizen) so i made a account on the IRS webpage to download the tax transcript, but i can only get a tax transcript for 2019! for 2018 and 2017 its just a verification of non-filing letter!

i have been working for the last 7 year and filled for taxes with my wife every year, so i don't know what to do .so any tip or help is greatly appreciated,
    Last edited by kjellnil; 01-12-2021, 08:18 PM. Reason: spelling

You don't need tax returns for naturalization unless you are applying under the 3-year rule, but if you have been a permanent resident for more than 5 years you should be applying under the simpler 5-year rule.

This is my personal opinion and is not to be construed as legal advice.

Comment

Originally posted by newacct View Post
      You don't need tax returns for naturalization unless you are applying under the 3-year rule, but if you have been a permanent resident for more than 5 years you should be applying under the simpler 5-year rule.
      thank you so much for the replay.
      i do believe its the 3 year rule because i am married to a US citizen , but i will need the Certified tax transcripts for the interview right?

Comment

If you qualify under both the 3-year rule and 5-year rule, you should always apply under the 5-year rule because it's simpler.

This is my personal opinion and is not to be construed as legal advice.

Comment

Originally posted by newacct View Post
          I’d call IRS to find out what’s going on. Even under 5 year rule you need to prove you filed taxes. I filed under 5 years and I had to show them tax returns. It proves good moral character. Call IRS and try to figure out the issue.

Comment

kjellnil If you filed taxes, they will show up in the online IRS account.

If you are seeing "Verification of Non-filing Letter" for some years then that means that the IRS has no record of a filed Form 1040-series tax return for that year. How did you file the taxes? Did you file it yourself or did you use a software or a service like HR Block? Do you have proof that the tax returns were filed? You should sort this out - not just for the Citizenship application, IRS can come after you if your tax returns were not filed.

Comment

arkaa i use a tax preparer ,we have been using the same guy for over 13 year with no problem ,i talked with him today and he showed me the tax reurn i filled for 2017 and 2018 and he said he will resend them to IRS, i really hope this will take care of the problem

Comment

Lina123 i with my tax today and he showed me the tax return i filled for 2017 and 2018 and he said he will resend them to IRS, so i hope this will fix this problem

Comment

Originally posted by kjellnil View Post
                  Lina123 i with my tax today and he showed me the tax return i filled for 2017 and 2018 and he said he will resend them to IRS, so i hope this will fix this problem
                  with all covid going on I don’t think IRS will get to it fast enough. I’d call straight to IRS. They can fix it there.

Also, if you used a tax preparer, you can get a signed copy from him that you filed taxes and that will be more than enough for citizenship interview.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                  X