Mixed Insurance Banners Health Insurance for Visitors to USA


No announcement yet.

Applying to Federal Jobs after Naturalization

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Applying to Federal Jobs after Naturalization


    I have been recently naturalized and my passport is currently in process.
    I'm also searching for jobs and I landed an interview for a government job.

    Do I need to update my SSN ASAP (if I get an offer)?
    Or would that not pose a problem since I have my passport and I can use that for the form I-9?

    I read some mixed answers in different places and I am not sure which information is correct.

    Thank you in advance.

  • #2
    Yes better get SSN updated. Not sure of your location, but nowadays you can fill the ss-5.pdf form and send it to your respective SSN Office to get the SSN updated (got to know when I called my Denton (Texas) SSN Office as they no longer allow In-Person visits for getting SSN Updated after acquiring citizenship). However they would also require you to sent the original copy of your Naturalization Certificate which they would then mail. The entire service is free of cost.

    "When you are hired for a job, your employer can enter your SSN into a U.S. Department of Homeland Security web-based system, E-Verify, to determine your eligibility to work in the United States. If your record has not been updated, this may impact the information your employer receives about your work eligibility. To find your Social Security office,"
    Last edited by ShibuM; 04-11-2021, 08:42 PM.


    • #3
      I updated by SS by posting it as ShiubuM said. Instead of sending my NC i waited until I got my passport and passport card. I sent my passport card and that was accepted as evidence!! Incase you are paranoid like me and wanted to send the least important thing incase it gets lost!