Mixed Insurance Banners Health Insurance for Visitors to USA

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do USCIS notify your country if you become US citizen ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do USCIS notify your country if you become US citizen ?

do USCIS notify your country if you become US citizen ?
    My country does not allow dual citizenship, but as long as they dont know then I should be fine.

Anyone have a solid answer ?
    F1 OPT to AOS

9/7/2018 PD
    10/3/2018 Biometric
    10/4/2018 we are processing the fingerprints for your Form I-765
    10/11/2018 Case is Ready to Be Scheduled for An Interview
    3/14/2019 New Card Is Being Produced
    3/15/2019 I-131 Case Was Approved
    3/21/2019 Card was received

I've never heard of any kind of such automatic notification. It would require the US to not only set up but also continuously maintain some kind of official communication channel with the State Department-like entity of every other country, which I don't consider likely. Of course, this is just my personal opinion, so I might be entirely wrong. However, even if I'm right, I'm sure that a false claim of citizenship even in itself, but especially with the goal of engaging in e.g. fraud is just as much a serious crime in your country as it is in the US, so I'd tread very lightly...
    The above is my personal opinion and not legal advice.

Comment

Originally posted by Dx134 View Post
      I've never heard of any kind of such automatic notification. It would require the US to not only set up but also continuously maintain some kind of official communication channel with the State Department-like entity of every other country, which I don't consider likely. Of course, this is just my personal opinion, so I might be entirely wrong. However, even if I'm right, I'm sure that a false claim of citizenship even in itself, but especially with the goal of engaging in e.g. fraud is just as much a serious crime in your country as it is in the US, so I'd tread very lightly...
      Thanks for your opinion, I also dont think they do notify other countries when some people become US citizen.

I'm not sure what you mean by fraud and crime, getting other citizenship is not a crime or fraud in my country and the will make choose between them. Of course I would like to keep my citizenship but also would love to become a US citizen because I live her with my spouse.

Thanks again!
      F1 OPT to AOS

9/7/2018 PD
      10/3/2018 Biometric

Comment

In your original statement you asked whether your home country will know that you become a US Citizen, and as long as they don't know you should be fine. You also recognized that your home country doesn't allow duel citizenship. Becoming a US citizen and not telling your home country despite knowing that you are meant to would be considered as fraud.

Likewise after gaining US citizenship if travelling internationally you must leave and return on your US passport. The only time I don't show my US passport is when I enter the UK but I have to use it when leaving the UK. When purchasing tickets you will also be providing them with your US Passport number to prove that you don't need a Visa to get back into the US. Depending on the customs officer, it will look strange that your US passport won't have a stamp in it for your home country when you first arrived.

Look I get it!! If I had to give up my UK citizenship to become a US citizen, I really would have to think about it! At the moment I probably would not choose to do that and would keep my UK citizenship and just do Greencard! It would suck not being able to vote but that would be the price I would be willing to pay. Likewise, if you wanted to go back home some countries make it pretty simple to regain your original citizenship but in turn you would have to give up your newly required US citizenship. This could be an option for you.

Could you get away with it, absolutely! but is it worth the risk? Probably not! All of this, is of course my own opinion, and I am definitely not an expert in this area at all so I could be completely wrong.
        Last edited by okccanary; 09-27-2022, 03:20 PM.

Comment

I see how some people might see this as fraud, I dont see it like that at all. I see it as a stupid rules in a third world country.
          F1 OPT to AOS

9/7/2018 PD
          10/3/2018 Biometric

Comment

Originally posted by ArizonaPHX View Post
            I see how some people might see this as fraud, I dont see it like that at all. I see it as a stupid rules in a third world country.
            For the record I completely agree with you!! I'm still mad at stupid Brexit and the freedoms that took away. But i'm still lucky that the UK has the loop hole where it doesn't recognize me giving up UK citizenship when taking the Oath as it wasn't in front of a British official. I guess your question is more directed at what would happen if your home country found out and the consequences that would happen from that. It wouldn't affect your US citizenship. The only way they would find out is if you travelled home and at the start of your return leg home the officer noticing the lack of an entrance stamp on your passport as you are leaving your home country. I guess you could counter that by using your US one the whole way but once again your reason for travelling would be for seeing family and they may ask you if you renounced your citizenship. Man if definitely messy and I would not recommend it. I would just stick with your GC. Have you look at how to become a citizen again if you did relinquish it. For example India has the OCI card which allows you to reapply for citizernship after a year living back there.

Comment

Originally posted by okccanary View Post

For the record I completely agree with you!! I'm still mad at stupid Brexit and the freedoms that took away. But i'm still lucky that the UK has the loop hole where it doesn't recognize me giving up UK citizenship when taking the Oath as it wasn't in front of a British official. I guess your question is more directed at what would happen if your home country found out and the consequences that would happen from that. It wouldn't affect your US citizenship. The only way they would find out is if you travelled home and at the start of your return leg home the officer noticing the lack of an entrance stamp on your passport as you are leaving your home country. I guess you could counter that by using your US one the whole way but once again your reason for travelling would be for seeing family and they may ask you if you renounced your citizenship. Man if definitely messy and I would not recommend it. I would just stick with your GC. Have you look at how to become a citizen again if you did relinquish it. For example India has the OCI card which allows you to reapply for citizernship after a year living back there.
              My country wont take my citizenship away, if they found out they will make me choose between my citizenship and US citizenship. Which is really hard for me give up my citizenship back home. I think you're right I should just stick to GC to avoid any complications and dont want to risk it.

Regarding entering the country and leaving it wont be an issue at all, I will be traveling to a country next to my country and entering using my passport. Only time I will be using the US passport is to enter the US only, and show it to the airlines as valid doc to enter the land of freedom.

Thanks mate
              F1 OPT to AOS

9/7/2018 PD
              10/3/2018 Biometric

Comment

do USCIS notify your country if you become US citizen ?
                My country does not allow dual citizenship, but as long as they dont know then I should be fine.

Anyone have a solid answer ?
                What happens when your passport expires?

Some countries want to see your evidence of authorized presence in the U.S. before renewing your passport. You won’t be able to produce a green card.

Or what happens when you travel to your country of origin? What if the airline tells your country of origin that you have both passports?

Logistically I don’t understand how this works.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike E View Post

What happens when your passport expires?
                  Some countries want to see your evidence of authorized presence in the U.S. before renewing your passport. You won’t be able to produce a green card.

They dont ask for any paper, all process are online is very easy. I have renewed my passport before.

Originally posted by Mike E View Post

Or what happens when you travel to your country of origin? What if the airline tells your country of origin that you have both passports?

So this is the tricky part, I will have to travel to the US through another country to avoid the airlines issue. It's def annoying. I just want things to be easier here in the US thats all.
                  F1 OPT to AOS

9/7/2018 PD
                  10/3/2018 Biometric

Comment

It depends on the details of what exactly your country's law says. You cannot make any general statements about this.

Some countries' nationality law says that its citizenship is automatically lost when you voluntarily acquire a foreign nationality, then the moment you take the oath to become a US citizen, you are immediately no longer a citizen of that other country, as a matter of law. This is true even if the country's government doesn't know that you are no longer a citizen, because citizenship is a matter of law, not a matter of the government knowing. In this case, even though your passport from that country may be unexpired, you cannot use it to present yourself as a citizen of that country, because you are not a citizen of that country. Presenting yourself as a citizen of that country when you are not is fraud.

Some countries' nationality law says that its government has the power to take away your citizenship of that country when you have acquired a foreign nationality, but it is not automatic. In this case, unless and until that government issues the order to take away your citizenship, you legally still have that country's citizenship, and can continue to present yourself as a citizen of that country. There is no fraud here because it is true and honest that you are a citizen of that country.

This is my personal opinion and is not to be construed as legal advice.

Comment

Originally posted by newacct View Post

It depends on the details of what exactly your country's law says. You cannot make any general statements about this.

Some countries' nationality law says that its government has the power to take away your citizenship of that country when you have acquired a foreign nationality, but it is not automatic. In this case, unless and until that government issues the order to take away your citizenship, you legally still have that country's citizenship, and can continue to present yourself as a citizen of that country. There is no fraud here because it is true and honest that you are a citizen of that country.

This is the law in my country, I will still consider as a citizen unless they decide to drop my citizenship and it has to be signed by the prime minster. Technically the will make me choose between them if they found out.
                      F1 OPT to AOS

9/7/2018 PD
                      10/3/2018 Biometric

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                      X