Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• N400 Interview Suggestions/Words of Advice

Hello

My interview is this Thursday and naturally, I am nervous. I filed for citizenship based on 5 years. I was married but I am divorced. I live in Chicago.

For the interview what should I bring besides the interview letter, my 10 year GC, Driver's License and passport? Should I bring just my active passport or should I bring my expired passports as well? I will also bring the final divorce papers along with the letter that my lawyer attached as I applied for the 10 year GC before the divorce and I got approved and I wanted to be on the safe side and I wanted to notify USCIS about the change.

Anything else that I should bring? I still have proof of the marriage but since this will be based on the 5 years, I am under the assumption that I will not need to bring marriage evidence.

I also filed online so I don't have the copy of my form to review (ugh). So I am nervous about questions on the application (especially dates).

Any suggestions or words of advice will be very helpful.
    Forms sent 6/2
    Forms received 6/4
    Received texts/e-mails 6/6
    PD 6/5 & 6/6
    NOA between 6/8 and 6/12 (I was out of town)
    Biometrics letter in mail 6/17 w/ 6/28 date
    SR 9/2
    Contacted Congressman 10/1
    Called the Congressman's office 10/10
    Interview letter 10/10
    Approval Letters for I-765 and I-131 10/16
    Received EAD/AP card 10/17
    Interview 11/8 RFE after
    New Card Being Produced 11/16
    Conditional GC received 11/24

You will be great!!!

Bring any document/evidence you wanted to add that was not uploaded. (I didnt bring anything as i uploaded everything I had but I am still married so my case was very straightforward). I only brought my most recent passport. I would have also suggested to bring your divorce decree as that is the only major change in your case but seems like you are already bringing that. The only other important papers would be your previous 4 (i think that is what they asked for but cant remember) tax returns so if you haven't uploaded them all then make sure you have the missing ones.

As for the questions, they are asked exactly as how they were on the Q&A pdf you can download from their website or the USCIS test app. So as long as you have been using those you will be fine!! If not then I would definitely recommend having a look at those!

On the whole I found this interview way easier and less stressful than all the previous interviews. It definitely seemed like the Officer is not trying to trip you up on this one as you have already proven that you should be here, so they are not trying to catch you out or deny you but rather just ticking the boxes before rubber stamping it.

as stated earlier you will do great!!

Comment

Originally posted by okccanary View Post
      You will be great!!!

Bring any document/evidence you wanted to add that was not uploaded. (I didnt bring anything as i uploaded everything I had but I am still married so my case was very straightforward). I only brought my most recent passport. I would have also suggested to bring your divorce decree as that is the only major change in your case but seems like you are already bringing that. The only other important papers would be your previous 4 (i think that is what they asked for but cant remember) tax returns so if you haven't uploaded them all then make sure you have the missing ones.

As for the questions, they are asked exactly as how they were on the Q&A pdf you can download from their website or the USCIS test app. So as long as you have been using those you will be fine!! If not then I would definitely recommend having a look at those!

On the whole I found this interview way easier and less stressful than all the previous interviews. It definitely seemed like the Officer is not trying to trip you up on this one as you have already proven that you should be here, so they are not trying to catch you out or deny you but rather just ticking the boxes before rubber stamping it.

as stated earlier you will do great!!
      Thank you! I will for sure bring my most recent taxes with me just in case.
      Forms sent 6/2
      Forms received 6/4
      PD 6/5 & 6/6
      SR 9/2
      Interview letter 10/10
      Interview 11/8 RFE after

Comment

Hello all!

I arrived at the Chicago Field Office around 9:27. I sat down and started reviewing the Civics questions one more time. Within 5 minutes, my name was called. The officer asked for my Driver's License, Green Card and Passport. Then we started the civics test. Some of the questions that he asked me were:

Who is the Commander in Chief of the military?
        What is the capital of your state?
        What are two rights of everyone living in the United States?
        The Federalist Papers supported the passage of the U.S. Constitution. Name one of the writers.
        What is one reason colonists came to America?
        When do we celebrate Independence Day?

Then we did the reading part ("Who can vote?) and written part (Citizens can vote).

Then we went through the application. I notified the officer that I changed jobs and he made the update. He asked about my international flights, my past addresses and my employment history.

I am not changing my name.

I got approved on the spot and I was told that I would get the oath date in the mail within 30-45 days.

Thank you.

Forms sent 6/2
        Forms received 6/4
        PD 6/5 & 6/6
        SR 9/2
        Interview letter 10/10
        Interview 11/8 RFE after

Comment

Originally posted by Walbrzyszanka21 View Post
          Hello all!

I arrived at the Chicago Field Office around 9:27. I sat down and started reviewing the Civics questions one more time. Within 5 minutes, my name was called. The officer asked for my Driver's License, Green Card and Passport. Then we started the civics test. Some of the questions that he asked me were:

Who is the Commander in Chief of the military?
          What is the capital of your state?
          What are two rights of everyone living in the United States?
          The Federalist Papers supported the passage of the U.S. Constitution. Name one of the writers.
          What is one reason colonists came to America?
          When do we celebrate Independence Day?

Then we did the reading part ("Who can vote?) and written part (Citizens can vote).

Then we went through the application. I notified the officer that I changed jobs and he made the update. He asked about my international flights, my past addresses and my employment history.

I am not changing my name.

I got approved on the spot and I was told that I would get the oath date in the mail within 30-45 days.

Thank you.
          congratulations!!!! feels great to finally be done with this process doesn't it!!!

Comment

Congratulations!

did the officer ask for your documents/evidence during the interview? I’ve been wondering whether I should print and bring the documents I submitted for the interview or not. It’s a lot of papers! Lol.

Comment

Originally posted by hopefulandhappy View Post
              Congratulations!

did the officer ask for your documents/evidence during the interview? I’ve been wondering whether I should print and bring the documents I submitted for the interview or not. It’s a lot of papers! Lol.
              Hi, so my case is based on the 5 years. I was married but I got divorced.

My divorce was finalized 8/11/2020 but I did not get the final decree until 10/6/2020 and in the meantime, my I-751 application was approved. So I had a lawyer write up a letter explaining what happened. I brought that letter to the interview.

Here are the things my lawyer told me to bring:

Interview Notice
              Driver's License
              Green Card
              All Passports (current and expired)
              Any travel documents (if you received Re-Entry Permit from USCIS)
              Birth Certificate
              Divorce Decree
              Marriage certificate if you re-married
              Birth certificates for any children you may have
              Tax transcripts (which you can get on the IRS website quickly)

The IO only asked to see the green card, DL, passport, divorce decree and the letter.

Hope this helps.
              Forms sent 6/2
              Forms received 6/4
              PD 6/5 & 6/6
              SR 9/2
              Interview letter 10/10
              Interview 11/8 RFE after

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}