Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help Needed on Mom's greencard

Hello,
    I would like to understand what is requirement from Greencard to Citizenship.
    Here are the dates that my mom was in USA with me. There is a big gap in between due to my father passing away in India due to Parkingson.
    In total she has spent only 22 months so far. But if we take into account her break and that may restart the clock it is only 11 months.
    Questions :
    1) Due to Covid or my dad's disease can we request for exemption and include the pre covid period as well?
    Experience with any similar situation will be helpful.
    2) What is the requirement overall i.e
    a. How much longer I can apply for her citizenship. Assuming that she stays here now.
    18-Jul-2017 27-Oct-2017 3
    11-Apr-2018 11-Sept-2018 5
    26-Feb-2019 09-May-2019 2
    01-Nov-2019 10-Dec-2019 1
    30-May-2021 22-Nov-2021 5
    01-May-2022 06-Nov-2022 6

Exact number of days : 735.
    Last edited by vikmahaj; 01-26-2023, 11:44 PM.

Will appreciate if somebody can help on this please?

Comment

In general, the multiyear absence will break the five-year continuous residence requirement. As it stands, she's eligible in (May) 2026 (provided she doesn't spend extensive time out of the country again and manages to accrue her 913 days of continuous presence in this time). Her stated reasons for being absent from the US do not qualify her for an exemption. In fact, she's very lucky her permanent residence wasn't considered abandoned.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
      X