Mixed Insurance Banners Health Insurance for Visitors to USA

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

35 yrs old - Not registered with Selective Service.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 35 yrs old - Not registered with Selective Service.

Hey everyone,

I just had my naturalization interview, I passed the tests but I was told I need to provide a letter from Selective Service for the process to continue.
    I have not registered with Selective Service and I did indicate that on the application form N-400. I also attached a document explaining why I did not register, please see content below.

"At the time that I received the Selective Service document, it was my understanding that I was not required to register.
    To my knowledge and to the best of my recollection, my Permanent Resident application was still pending.

Although my application for the Green Card was approved on July 20th 2001 (85 days before my 26th birthday), I did not receive a change of status notification (i.e. Green Card) until after my 26th birthday."

I am now 35 years old, I thought I read somewhere that if you are 31 or above you don't need to provide that letter from Selective Service.

Before becoming a Permanent Resident I was on a Student Visa (F-1). I do have copies of the Visas but I don't have all of the I-20 forms from the school I was attending. Will this be perceived as overstaying my Visa or being out of status before I received my Green Card? Will this cause any problems obtaining the letter from Selective Service and bring my naturalization application to a halt?

I really appreciate any advice you can give. Thanks in advance.

I am surprised at the lack of response on this thread. I will be providing updates hoping that people will chime in and provide direction and also so other users can learn from my experience.

I was able to get through to SSS customer service over the phone, the lady asked me if I was sure that I didn't register, I don't remember registering was my reply.

The conversation went like this:

Phone agent: What's your social sec #?
    Me: it is xxx-xx-xxxx.
    Phone agent: Last name?
    Me: Last
    Phone agent: City and state?
    Me: Currently "my city" "my state"
    Phone agent: Have you ever lived in another state?
    Me: "my previous state"
    Phone agent: city?
    Me: "my previous city"
    Phone agent: Yes you are registered
    Me: huh?
    Phone agent: Your social sec # is not there though. My computer is not letting me do it right now but here's your registration # and the date you were registered.

It seems like the INS (USCIS) registered me when they approved my Green Card.

I am wondering if I should make an infopass appointment to tell the officer that is handling my file that I was registered with SSS and that we should change the answer on that question.

Comment

Originally posted by sitzen View Post
      I am surprised at the lack of response on this thread. I will be providing updates hoping that people will chime in and provide direction and also so other users can learn from my experience.

I was able to get through to SSS customer service over the phone, the lady asked me if I was sure that I didn't register, I don't remember registering was my reply.

The conversation went like this:

Phone agent: What's your social sec #?
      Me: it is xxx-xx-xxxx.
      Phone agent: Last name?
      Me: Last
      Phone agent: City and state?
      Me: Currently "my city" "my state"
      Phone agent: Have you ever lived in another state?
      Me: "my previous state"
      Phone agent: city?
      Me: "my previous city"
      Phone agent: Yes you are registered
      Me: huh?
      Phone agent: Your social sec # is not there though. My computer is not letting me do it right now but here's your registration # and the date you were registered.

It seems like the INS (USCIS) registered me when they approved my Green Card.

I am wondering if I should make an infopass appointment to tell the officer that is handling my file that I was registered with SSS and that we should change the answer on that question.
      Thanks for the info. I never heard that USCIS automatically registers you for selective services when they issue your greencard. So I am really interested in your case. Please update us as you get more info. I would definitely suggest to make an infopass appointment and discuss with an officer. Thanks!

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
      X