Mixed Insurance Banners Health Insurance for Visitors to USA

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can I get J1 again once my current J1 ends an I return to india?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I get J1 again once my current J1 ends an I return to india?

Hi..! I am currently on J1 visa which ends this year. If I don't get another job offer I will have to return to India. And I am subject to a two-year home-country physical presence requirement, Section 212(e). I know that I need to get a J1 waiver to change visa status. However, I stayed as a J1 for only two years. My concern is, will I be eligible for J1 visa if I find an offer after returning to India?

Yes, you are eligible for J1. The INA 212(e) 2-year home residency requirement only applies to getting H or L work visas or permanent residency. There is a separate rule on 12-month or 24-month bars on repeat participation as a J1 professor or research scholar.

This is my personal opinion and is not to be construed as legal advice.

Comment

It means I am subject to 212(e) as well as the 24-month bars on repeat participation. I can not get J1 again before two years after completion of current J1, is that right?

Comment

Originally posted by time2rise View Post
        It means I am subject to 212(e) as well as the 24-month bars on repeat participation. I can not get J1 again before two years after completion of current J1, is that right?
        Like I said, INA 212(e) does not affect your ability to get J1 or most other types of nonimmigrant visas.

The 24-month bar is if you were a J1 professor or research scholar (not other types of J1) and wish to return as a J1 professor or research scholar (again, not other types of J1) again within 24 months.

This is my personal opinion and is not to be construed as legal advice.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
        X