Mixed Insurance Banners Health Insurance for Visitors to USA

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Applying for J visa while married to American?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Applying for J visa while married to American?

I have been married to an American for over 2 years now, but decided not to pursue the green card through her. I finished my master's and worked under my OPT while on the F visa. Since my current employer can not renew my OPT, they offered me to switch to the J visa.
    I would like to know if there is a change that the consulate might reject my J visa application, since I am married to an American.

Thank you
    Last edited by MateoAnthony; 05-21-2020, 04:43 AM.

Yes, you can. Make sure you have all docs required for this visa.
    Since you are married, you will be asked about your spouse which you can explain. It's not going to affect your application. Many people want to immigrate on their own merits and that's ok.

Opinion only. Cannot be construed as legal advice.

Comment

Originally posted by R78 View Post
      Yes, you can. Make sure you have all docs required for this visa.
      Since you are married, you will be asked about your spouse which you can explain. It's not going to affect your application. Many people want hotmail login to immigrate on their own merits and that's ok.
      Thanks R78, will apply for the green card via this process.
      Last edited by jrjong; 07-08-2020, 11:42 PM.

Comment

Be aware of whether your J1 has a 2-yer home residency requirement, because if it does, you would not be able to get a green card until you spend 2 years in your home country after the J1.

This is my personal opinion and is not to be construed as legal advice.

Comment

Because, as a J-1 visa holder, you do not need a K-1 visa, you will need to get married to your U.S citizen fiance before filing. Once you are married, you can file an I-130 petition . Fortunately, as the spouse of a U.S. citizen, you will be filing as an immediate relative of a citizen
          Last edited by Maliks; 07-30-2020, 12:47 AM.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
          X