Mixed Insurance Banners Health Insurance for Visitors to USA

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can J2 status be violated for entering US while having a Job in home country?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can J2 status be violated for entering US while having a Job in home country?

Dear all,

I have entered the US in June on a J2 visa. At that time I was in a post-doc position in India. Since due to covid everything was going online, I stayed in the US and worked in India in online mode. My position in India ended in Dec and I wanted to find a job in the US. So I applied for EAD in Dec and already received the EAD and SSN. Now I am hearing that working in the home country while staying in the USA with a J2 visa is illegal if you don't have an EAD. I am planning to visit India next month and I will need to get my VISA stamped. Will I face a problem in getting my visa stamped?

It is correct. Working even for a foreign company while in the US is considered working in the US. On a J2 visa, you needed the EAD. Whether the officer will ask if you worked while in the US, is unclear, but they definitely could have issues with it. But it's possible they won't ask.

Comment

Thanks for the response. Actually while applying for VISA stamping, I have to submit the DS-160 form. In that form, there is a section of previous employment and a section of my last US visit. If I fill my employment record honestly it will definitely contradict my entry dates. So, the officer need not have to ask me. It will be on his/her desk. Now, I don't know provided they know everything clearly what decision they will take.

Comment

Doesn't а J-visa give you the right to have a part-time job in the United States? If your question is already closed, tell us how you were able to solve it, please

Comment

how much time did it take you to get you EAD back?

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
          X