Approved - Now What?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Approved - Now What?

Canadian entering the USA in a K1 visa. I’m flying down and we plan to be married within the 90 days (before Christmas to be exact). Right after we get married... what do I do? I plan on living in the US permanently with my (to be) husband.

I do want to be back in Canada to visit family as soon as I can.

1.) Do I need to apply for a Social Security Number after 2 weeks of entry? It says in this website that it’s recommended you do, but it mentions nothing like that on the sheet the Consulate gave me...

2.) Do I just fill out the I-485 Form and I-765 Form at the same time, and send them out as soon as we are married?

Is there any other things I need to fill out / know? Time limits I should be aware of? I’ve done everything by myself with no lawyer thus far, and are not planning on getting one.

Thank-you so much in advance for your time and knowledge, it is greatly appreciated.

After entry and once you get married, you wait to get your marriage certificate. Once that's in hand, you file the I-485 adjustment of status.
    1. You may apply for a SS card soon after entry. It's up to you to do this, you don't have to. Although I recommend you do for various reasons.
    2. Yes, file the I-485 and I recommended filing I-765 and I-131 at the same time. It'll help get you the EAD/AP card so you can work/travel abroad after the interview.

Just make sure you get married and get the certificate. Then file the I-485 as soon as possible so you're set for the time being until your interview. If you'd like more clarification on the procedures, check out my resources.
    --Good luck--
    Good luck. I learned the hard way, I hope you don't have to. Immigration is interesting. Not considered as legal advice.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
    X