No announcement yet.

My fiance arrives on Friday, now what?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My fiance arrives on Friday, now what?

Good afternoon,

My fiancee arrives this Friday with a K1 visa and our wedding will be on September 5th. My question is very simple; step by step, what do we need to do after she arrives here? I need some clarification in regards to: When should she apply for her SSN? Before or after the wedding date? Will she need a work permit in order to apply for a SSN? If so, what are the requirements for the application of a non-immigrant work permit and where do we apply for one? Will she need the form I-94 for the SSN application? When should we apply for the adjustment of status (green card)?mobdro.bio/ luckypatcher.tips/ kodi.bio/

I would really appreciate your help!

Thank you!
    Last edited by Macgomes; 01-17-2020, 01:02 AM.

September 5 is too late. She needs to be married to you within 90 days.

Comment

So setting aside the ridiculous notion that you can wait until September 5, this is the real time line.

2 working days after she arrives (keeping in mind Monday is a holiday), you go to the CBP website and print her I-94.

You then take her to the local SS office to apply for a SS card. You will need the I-94, her passport, her admission stamp, and her visa. You must not be married when she applies for her SS card.

When the SS card arrives, add her to at least one utility bill and open a joint banking account. Save the letter the SS office sent her. It is a proof of address.

Then get married. Get married in a county where the marriage cert get be picked up from the county office in 5 working days or less. Check that in advance. Get married at the county court house or county office. Make sure you take photos of this event.

After you get the marriage cert take it, proofs of your address, proofs of her address, your ID, her passport, I-94, k-1 visa, admission stamp, you, and her to the dmv to get a REAL ID compliant drivers license or state ID. This must be done while there are 60 or more days left on her authorized stay.

Now you are ready to file for Adjustment of Status, EAD, and AP. These should be filed well before her 90 day authorized stay has expired so that she gets the I-797 documents back. These documents are her proof that her presence after 90 days is authorized.

6 months after filing, her EAD and AP should show up. Now she can work and travel internationally. Note that if she loses her AP while outside the USA, then she is in a world of trouble, because no airline will board her. She will be fine if she can get to the USA border or a preclearance airport in Canada, Ireland, Abu Dhabi, or the Carribean.

About 9 months after you file for AOS the interview will be scheduled about a month later. About a month after the interview her 2 year green card shows up.

Set a calendar reminder for the issue date of the green card plus 1006 days. She can file for citizenship then.

Last edited by Mike E; 01-15-2020, 10:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike E View Post
        After you get the marriage cert take it, proofs of your address, proofs of her address, your ID, her passport, I-94, k-1 visa, admission stamp, you, and her to the dmv to get a REAL ID complaint drivers license or state ID. This must be done while there are 60 or more days left on her authorized stay.
        But a driver's license/ID she gets this way would expire at the end of the 90 days, which is not very useful.

This is my personal opinion and is not to be construed as legal advice.

Comment

Originally posted by newacct View Post

But a driver's license/ID she gets this way would expire at the end of the 90 days, which is not very useful.
          Nope. That’s why you get it while there are 60 or more days left.

At least in California my K-1 wife got a REAL ID state ID good for 6 years.

Keep in mind my timeline is based a real example. Hence it is real.
          Last edited by Mike E; 01-15-2020, 10:37 PM.

Comment

Good luck to you and your fiance! Can you share some updates?

Comment

thanks for sharing you messaage
              openload /pairmobdrorepelisplus

Comment

came in to us January 2020 and I got married with my fiancé in February. And we recently received our marriage certificate, but unfortunately the office is closed to sent our application form for green card. So am trying to enquirer if there is any step to go at the moment. Please I need help from people who are in the same situation with me or someone who have understanding about the issue.

Comment

Originally posted by Baldeh1234 View Post
                  came in to us January 2020 and I got married with my fiancé in February. And we recently received our marriage certificate, but unfortunately the office is closed to sent our application form for green card. So am trying to enquirer if there is any step to go at the moment. Please I need help from people who are in the same situation with me or someone who have understanding about the issue.
                  You mail your I-485 and associated forms and documents to the Chicago Lockbox. It is not "closed".

Comment

No I didn’t do that yet all my papers are with me. I looked in to there website and I see that they temporarily closed. That’s why I didn’t boarder myself

Comment

We already filled out all the application forms

Comment

Originally posted by Baldeh1234 View Post
                        No I didn’t do that yet all my papers are with me. I looked in to there website and I see that they temporarily closed. That’s why I didn’t boarder myself
                        Receiving a mailed application is not an in-person service. It is not "closed". There is no web page that tells you not to mail in applications.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                        X