Overwhelmed and confused, looking for guidance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Overwhelmed and confused, looking for guidance

Hi everyone, I am so sorry if I'm posting this in the wrong place. I'm feeling desperate so I joined this forum to see if I can find any help. I'm sorry to ask this of you.

I was hoping someone can maybe explain options to me of what I can do in my situation.

I have been with my romantic partner for six years now, long distance. I am a 25 year old and I live in the USA. My partner is 23 and he lives in Australia.
    We only get to see each other a few weeks out of each year when we go on vacation together. All of our other time together is spent online.
    We are frustrated with this and want to get married and live together because the goodbyes are so unbearably painful.
    But we are both young and do not have much money.

I am currently in college trying to get into a program for diagnostic medical sonography (ultrasound). I have all of my pre- and co-requisite classes completed but the program entry is granted by a raffle system so there is a very good chance I won't get into the program and my schooling will be delayed by another year!

Right now, our plan is for me to finish school, get a full-time job, and then my partner will move over here with me. But I do not even really understand how that would work. It is all so confusing for me, I can't figure it out. I don't understand the process. It seems so complicated.

and if I do not get into the program, I don't know what we will do. We already don't really want to have to wait until 2022 to get married and be together (the program is 2 years long) but that seems like our only choice... but, if that's delayed another year, it just seems impossible to spend three more years long distance....we are tired.... We just want to be together.

He does not have any sort of degree so he cannot come over here on some sort of work visa , I do not think, but again, I don't really understand it.
    But if he comes over now, I do not have enough money to take care of him.
    Where I live, housing is very expensive and I can't afford it until I have a degree and a full-time job.
    During the program I am taking, I will be unable to work, so I won't be earning money.

I guess I am just asking, what are our options? How does it work? We just don't know what to do. It seems so big and daunting and impossible. ????

Any help and advice is very very very appreciated.

You didn't mention if you're a US citizen. Assuming that you are, there are a few options to bring your partner to the US. If he an ESTA holder? or currently has a Us tourist visa? he can visit you here while you file for his immigrant visa. US Citizens can apply for a fiance K1 visa, which you may be eligible for if you have met each other face to face within the last 2 years. Otherwise, you can petition your partner for a spousal cr1/ir1 visa if you get married abroad. What's your preference?
    --Good luck--
    Good luck. I learned the hard way, I hope you don't have to. Immigration is interesting. Not considered as legal advice.

Comment

Originally posted by PKumar01 View Post
      You didn't mention if you're a US citizen. Assuming that you are, there are a few options to bring your partner to the US. If he an ESTA holder? or currently has a Us tourist visa? he can visit you here while you file for his immigrant visa. US Citizens can apply for a fiance K1 visa, which you may be eligible for if you have met each other face to face within the last 2 years. Otherwise, you can petition your partner for a spousal cr1/ir1 visa if you get married abroad. What's your preference?
      Hi! Thank you for your time and response!
      I'm sorry. When I said I live in the USA and he lives in Australia, I meant we were born in those countries and are citizens there. But neither of us are citizens of the other's country.

Yes, he does have an ESTA as America and Australia are on good terms. So, he does not have a visa, we have just visited using the ESTA.

The problem is my income levels and living situation while I am in school. I guess I was no clear enough about that in my original post. I can't file for either visa right now, I think, because of income requirements and our situations.

I am realizing though that I guess there is just nothing we can do, we just have to wait the extra years until I have a career, and if I don't get into the program, oh well, too bad, have to wait extra years.

I'm sorry, asking was a waste of time, I know there is nothing we can do. I was just feeling desperate but I know we have no options here.

we can consider this thread closed.
      Last edited by Maddie041014; 02-19-2020, 12:38 PM. Reason: Typo

Comment

you don't need to have income or a job to petition someone for a visa. If you file the fiance visa, you can have a family member or friend sponsor the financial part of it even if you're unemployed or still in school. It's called using a joint sponsor. Many people use this option.
        --Good luck--
        Good luck. I learned the hard way, I hope you don't have to. Immigration is interesting. Not considered as legal advice.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
        X