My friend used my address

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My friend used my address

I think my friend used my address on his application for his fiance's visa. Do they verify the petitioners address? What am I going to do if they contact my landlord and ask if he's living here?

The forms normally have two addresses, a mailing address and a residence address. I don't know (but I doubt) that they do such a thorough background check that they'd contact a landlord. It's completely fine for him to use your address as a mailing address (assuming you can get his mail to him). You didn't say if he lives at your house, and I'm not going to ask. If he lives with you, then it's perfectly fine for him to state that he lives with you, and that the landlord doesn't know probably won't affect USCIS's decision (though it may effect your lease). If he doesn't live with you and he said he does, then he needs to fix that, since this could cause his application to be denied. One can do a webchat with USCIS from their website to tell them a change of address, if needed. If he's homeless/transient, he might fail based on the I-864 form's required income/self-sufficiency.

The most likely untoward scenario is that they'll ask him what his address is, during an interview, and he'd need to know which address he put on the form.
    My status updates at: https://www.immihelp.com/forum/adjustment-of-status-i-485/733230-may-2020-filings?p=733643#post733643

online I-130 (receipt dated 7 May 2020) and I-485 (filed 3 June 2020, receipt dated 26 June ). RFIE (birth-certificate) delayed petition ~20 days. I-693 Deficiency notice received (1 Aug 2020). Waiting for biometrics notice (Indianapolis).

Comment

That's his problem. Not yours.
      Did you give him consent to use your address ? Why did he not use his own address ?
      Opinion only. Cannot be construed as legal advice.

Comment

Originally posted by pigrew View Post
        The forms normally have two addresses, a mailing address and a residence address. I don't know (but I doubt) that they do such a thorough background check that they'd contact a landlord. It's completely fine for him to use your address as a mailing address (assuming you can get his mail to him). You didn't say if he lives at your house, and I'm not going to ask. If he lives with you, then it's perfectly fine for him to state that he lives with you, and that the landlord doesn't know probably won't affect USCIS's decision (though it may effect your lease). If he doesn't live with you and he said he does, then he needs to fix that, since this could cause his application to be denied. One can do a webchat with USCIS from their website to tell them a change of address, if needed. If he's homeless/transient, he might fail based on the I-864 form's required income/self-sufficiency.

The most likely untoward scenario is that they'll ask him what his address is, during an interview, and he'd need to know which address he put on the form.
        He lives with his fiance in her country. He stays with me occasionally when the commute from her place isn't good. He has a p.o. box & he receives things here that can't go to the box. He isn't an official resident in her country so I don't think he can use her address either.

Comment

You don't have to panic, he will be answered for his act.
          Last edited by johnphilips; 09-21-2020, 10:47 AM.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
          X