Mixed Insurance Banners Health Insurance for Visitors to USA

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

K1 or K3 visa for international marriage?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• K1 or K3 visa for international marriage?

I am preparing for an engagement and want to bring my fiancée to live with me in the United States. However, my fiancée would prefer to get married in her home country (Japan) with her family and friends present. Can we achieve this arrangement by first obtaining the visa, then flying to Japan to get married, and finally returning to the US together? Is it feasible to pursue either the K1 or K3 visa for this purpose, or do we koows need developerbook to echat consider alternative plans?
    Last edited by XiangXo; 07-27-2023, 12:24 AM.

No. If she gets K1, then she would need to marry in the US within the 90 days, and then file for Adjustment of Status in the US (during which she cannot leave the US until being granted Advance Parole). If she leaves the US after marrying (without filing AOS and getting Advance Parole), she would not be able to return to the US on K1 visa. She would have to start the process over from abroad, being petitioned, and doing Consular Processing abroad.

K3 is obsolete. If she marries abroad, she would go through Consular Processing to get a CR1 immigrant visa directly.

This is my personal opinion and is not to be construed as legal advice.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
    X