Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FY2014 H-1B Job Hunt on Visa Waiver Program

Hi,

I am a French citizen, MSEE, currently employed as Software Engineering Consultant in France. I plan to quit my job and move to the US in January using the 90-day VWP. My goal is to get a job offer by April for FY2014.

I know that some people don't come to that and get hired from abroad (paid inter-continental round-trips for interviews, etc.), but I guess this is really exceptionnal. I want to play safe and get a lot of interviews in order to be sure to go back to France with a FY2014 H-1B sponsorship. I don't want to scare employers away at application time (with a european physical address). So, I will be in California during my job search which is my preferred location.

So, when do you think I should go exactly, considering the 90-day max. duration of stay of the VWP ?
    What is the best balance between:
    - "not too early": because I can only start working by October 1st, 2013
    - "not too late": because the H-1B quota may run out very early, so staying until May might be a waste

My original plan was: from early February to early May. But I am currently thinking of: mid-January to mid-April. In the second case, I am also thinking of a second VWP (I would have to pay for a second round-trip from France, but if the H-1B quota runs out at the same rate as last year, I would have 2 more months, until mid-June, to find a job!). But it would start to get expensive and I am afraid of being denied at the second entrance in the US (even though it is legal, it is at the discretion of the border agent).

I would really appreciate any input as to best select my flight dates.

A better bet would be to apply for Visitor visa and stay for 6 months, but then you will have to show strong reasons why you don't want to use VWP.

Tech companies are aware of the H1B start date issue, so if they really want to hire you, they will wait until Oct 1.
    This is my opinion and not legal advice.

Comment

Originally posted by kabkaba View Post
      A better bet would be to apply for Visitor visa and stay for 6 months, but then you will have to show strong reasons why you don't want to use VWP.
      Thank you for your answer. I thought about the B-2 Visa but I heard that there is high ratio of failure when trying to get one in countries where VWP is available, and I am afraid that a visa rejection hurts me later for H-1B and F-1 applications (question :"Have you ever been denied or refused a visa?").

I spent one year as an exchange student on a J-1 visa last year, and I had a few ties at that time: a degree to finish back home and a successful band. But now, I graduated and quit my band. I have no house, no wife/kids and I will quit my job for the purpose of the trip. So, I cannot be more free than... unfortunately (!).

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
      X