H1B transfer and extension

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• H1B transfer and extension

I am currently working for a company and am looking to switch to a new job in the near future. However, my H1B expires on October 1, 2013. If I transfer in the next few weeks/months, the new company will have to pay for the transfer fees, as well as the extension fees soon after. Because the transfer does not extend the H1B for another 3 years, it's just a transfer, right?

In that case, I think that it would be wiser to switch jobs after my current company has filed for my H1B extension in April. But do I have to stay with my current company until the extension is approved and then transfer, or can I transfer jobs before the extension is approved and when it is work for the new company for 3 more years even though the extension was filed under the first company?

Thank you!

What is commonly called as 'transfer' and 'extension' are both essentially the same thing, an H1 petition filed for a cap-exempt beneficiary. A maximum of 3 years can be requested for either petitions.
    So, if you find another job, the new employer can file the petition for you at any time and request 3 years.
    This is my opinion and not legal advice.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
    X