Mixed Insurance Banners Health Insurance for Visitors to USA

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can I visit India and come back during I-94 extension stay?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I visit India and come back during I-94 extension stay?

Hello all, I have a question on I-94 Extension
    I came to USA on H1B visa for a year and my visa was valid till Feb 2013. Since my assignment got extended till August 2013, i filed an extension of my I94 and it was approved till August 2013. I received the approval notice, however my Visa is already expired
    My question is, if in case of any emergency, how can i go to India and come back?
    Only thing is i have rented a house and lot of things which i cannot dispose in a single day and leave the country, if at all i will not be able to come back
    Please advise

Originally posted by haissk View Post
    Hello all, I have a question on I-94 Extension
    I came to USA on H1B visa for a year and my visa was valid till Feb 2013. Since my assignment got extended till August 2013, i filed an extension of my I94 and it was approved till August 2013. I received the approval notice, however my Visa is already expired
    My question is, if in case of any emergency, how can i go to India and come back?
    Only thing is i have rented a house and lot of things which i cannot dispose in a single day and leave the country, if at all i will not be able to come back
    Please advise
    As your visa in passport has expired, in case you leave , in order to enter US you have to get a fresh H1 stamping done in your passport at a consulate outside US. Only after getting a fresh H1 in your passport you would be eligible to enter US.

This is my opinion not legal advice.

Comment

Originally posted by raghvi View Post
      As your visa in passport has expired, in case you leave , in order to enter US you have to get a fresh H1 stamping done in your passport at a consulate outside US. Only after getting a fresh H1 in your passport you would be eligible to enter US.

First Thank you for your quick response.

Yes, my visa in the passport has expired.
      But, i just want to understand one thing, how do people handle emergency situations, most of them with family would have rented house and will have lot of items and atleast 50% would be on extension. Just want to know if at all they want to go immediately then how to they dispose everything in a single night and fly to home land

Comment

First Thank you for your quick response.

Yes, my visa in the passport has expired.
        But, i just want to understand one thing, how do people handle emergency situations, most of them with family would have rented house and will have lot of items and atleast 50% would be on extension. Just want to know if at all they want to go immediately then how to they dispose everything in a single night and fly to home land
        Well there is nothing you can do in case of emergency. Many people put up stuff in a garage or continue paying rent for the apartment while outside US till they can get a visa to re enter US. If they can't get a visa they ask their friends or relatives to dispose off stuff in their absence if their return is delayed beyond affordability or not possible. This is a personal hardship one has to go through in case of emergency travel with expired visa but valid I-94 and many people do take that risk of just staying here on extension without a valid visa and hope that they don't have to travel on an emergency.

Comment

Originally posted by raghvi View Post
          Well there is nothing you can do in case of emergency. Many people put up stuff in a garage or continue paying rent for the apartment while outside US till they can get a visa to re enter US. If they can't get a visa they ask their friends or relatives to dispose off stuff in their absence if their return is delayed beyond affordability or not possible. This is a personal hardship one has to go through in case of emergency travel with expired visa but valid I-94 and many people do take that risk of just staying here on extension without a valid visa and hope that they don't have to travel on an emergency.

Got it..
          So if i have to extend my visa from here without going to India what are the options and how soon i can get it
          I heard that i can get from Canada

Comment

Got it..
            So if i have to extend my visa from here without going to India what are the options and how soon i can get it
            I heard that i can get from Canada
            One cant get a new visa stamping done while in US. Yes, Canada is a possible option.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
            X