H4 stamping when aproved H1-B exists

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• H4 stamping when aproved H1-B exists

Hi...I am in India with an approved H1-B. My employer is not sending me for stamping as there are no project opportunities right now. My plan is to start working in U.S asap. I have following questions.
    1. If I get H-4 stamped, what will happen to my approved H1-B?
    2. Can I get H-4 stamped and then do a COS to H1-B from U.S? If this is possible, will it come under cap/cap-exemption?.
    Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by H1B_2014; 04-01-2013, 09:34 AM.

Originally posted by H1B_2014 View Post
    Hi...I am in India with an approved H1-B. My employer is not sending me for stamping as there are no project opportunities right now. My plan is to start working in U.S asap. I have following questions.
    1. If I get H-4 stamped, what will happen to my approved H1-B? - Nothing, you will have two visas in your passport. Your intent will be inquired at POE if both visas have not expired.
    2. Can I get H-4 stamped and then do a COS to H1-B from U.S? If this is possible, will it come under cap/cap-exemption?. - Yes you can. This can be counted cap exempt.
    Thanks in advance.
    hth
    This is my opinion. Not a legal advice

Comment

Thanks for the reply. For Qn 1, I will only have H4 stamp and no H1-B as my H1-B was not stamped at all, correct? Do you mean to say that the VO will find me having an approved H1-B and question on the intent of getting H-4 stamped? If I say the reason as "Current employer not allowing for H1-b stamping", can that cause any rejection?

For Qn 2: I will not be having the H1-B receipt number or approval notice when I ask employer B to do COS because as per my company policy they will disclose these only prior to stamping initiation. Without this information, can I get OS done via employer B?

Comment

Will H1B processing happening in background bring in chances of H4 rejection?

Hi,

I have a very similar story and need your advice.
        I recently got married and my husband is working on H1B. I am currently in India and we have filed H1B for myself through a consultant. We are planning to file H4 as well immediately so that I can relocate to US at the earliest (even before the H1B application status is known).
        My question is: At the interview for H4 is it safe for me to mention about the H1B processing going on at the background? This would be in case I am asked questions related to desire to work in the US. Would this create a chance for rejection of my H4?
        On the other hand, is it ok to not mention about the H1B at all?

Your response would be highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
        Last edited by nishasam04; 04-02-2013, 07:49 AM.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
        X