Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• H1B and H4 Visa Successful Stamping Mumbai April 2013

Hello All,

I just wanted to share my experience about visa H1 and H4 (spouse) visa stamping in Mumbai.

After you have successfully completed your DS-160 and secured appointments:

1) For Biometrics - Documents required are: DS-160 confirmation, Appointment Confirmation and Passports.

In Mumbai - biometrics is done at Trade Center near BKC. If you reach on time or slightly earlier - there is a line formation outside where a guy is walking around and checking if you have brought the above documents. My appointment was at 10.30. I reached at 10.20 after which was told stand in the line (documents verified by the guy). Once you enter the facility - the security guy frisks you for security reasons (for women - its behind closed curtains). At the entrance inside - they check you in by scanning the bar code on the appointment letter. They place a bar code sticker on the back of your passport and hand out a token number. As soon as you proceed to the waiting area - your token number will be announced. The guy behind the counter asks some questions and take a picture of you and finger prints. All in all the whole procedure took less than 15 mins from the time I stood in line and was out of the facility. Its amazingly fast.

2) Day 2 Interview at the Consulate: Reached the consulate about 30 mins before my scheduled appointment. Stood in line outside the embassy. A guy comes with a tablet and scans the bar code sticker stuck on the passport the previous day (some kinda check in feature like FB).

After waiting for 30 odd mins - we are moved to a shaded area (still outside the consulate). Wait time again 30 mins. Then you enter the premise - where your items are x-rayed and frisking for security. After clearing that you move to another shaded area where there is a huge line but has seats for everyone. Small batches of folks are then sent within the embassy. A book/newspaper for past time is advised since the wait is for an hour depending on the number of applicants. Once in the shaded area another person comes to check your documents while you are waiting. You can enter the embassy to buy tea/coffee or snacks (tea is Rs. 20, coffee Rs 30, etc).

Once you enter the embassy after the waiting period - you get a token number and the person pastes the sticker of your token number on your passport. Again wait (but now you are inside the consulate). Monitors display all the token numbers which are being called. Wait time is about 20 - 30 mins.

Your token number is displayed on all the monitors to which window you need to standby. The visa officer calls you from the window and the interview begins. Here goes:

VO: Hi
    Me: Hello
    VO: Passports and I797 please

VO: When were you married?
    ME: Dec 200X
    VO: Do you have a child?
    Me: Yes
    VO: Is he/she US citizen?
    ME: Yes
    VO: Just wanted to validate your marriage
    ME: Oh ok - I have marriage certificate too
    VO: Not required. Thanks.

VO: Whats your degree and Major?
    ME: University of YYYY X - Major = MS in XX

VO: Where are you working?
    ME: ZZZ
    VO How many employees right now?
    ME: ZZZ
    VO: Where will you be working from?
    ME: YYYY X (Area and which office = HeadQuarters)
    VO: Do you have another offices?
    ME: Only one in USA and one in Bangalore
    VO: Have you worked in Bangalore
    ME: No - haven't been there
    VO: Can I see your paystubs?
    ME: Showed paystubs from Jan 2013 to March 2013

VO: Your visa has been issued. Please collect the passports after 3-5 business days.
    ME: Thank you - will I get a receipt or something?
    VO: No - not required
    ME: Oh ok - thanks and have a good day.

No questions were asked to spouse for her H4 visa. Left the embassy after 3.5 hours.

Next day got a text message (sms) at 4pm and email confirmation that passport is ready for pick up.

Went to the same location for Biometrics to collect passports (timing 10 am to 4pm). Took my govt issued Indian driving license and a photo copy of the license for myself and spouse. A letter of authority to collect spouses passport was also submitted to collect both passports. Overall very smooth and super managed process (if you disregard the wait times).

- - - Updated - - -
    Thanks!

Congratulations. Thank you for posting detailed experience.
    No legal advice. Use at your own risk.

Comment

quite helpfull...

quite helpfull... but you didnt mention that they are demanding any medical fitness certificate or examination like for another countries ...???? i think if they demand than there is possibility of waste of time for one more day......

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
      X