Lost job on H1B

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lost job on H1B

I lost my job today. I am on H1B. I have valid F1 and B2 visa in my passport. My I94 is valid till 08/2014.
    Please suggest steps to be taken w.r.t. VISA status etc. for:

1. Applying for MS program(Apply fresh F1/ can reuse my exisiting one/ travel back for F1 stamping etc.)
    2. Applying for COS from H1B to B2: How do I do this? Any advantage as I already have a B2 in my passport?

I am trying to find another job, but it seems time is too short to find one. Please suggest what would be the best action plan for staying in US legally and finding a job?

Thanks
    G

Originally posted by g.sharma1 View Post
    I lost my job today. I am on H1B. I have valid F1 and B2 visa in my passport. My I94 is valid till 08/2014.
    Please suggest steps to be taken w.r.t. VISA status etc. for:

1. Applying for MS program(Apply fresh F1/ can reuse my exisiting one/ travel back for F1 stamping etc.)
    2. Applying for COS from H1B to B2: How do I do this? Any advantage as I already have a B2 in my passport?

I am trying to find another job, but it seems time is too short to find one. Please suggest what would be the best action plan for staying in US legally and finding a job?

Thanks
    G
    You should have converted to F1 or B2 before your last working day . Technically if you are not getting paid you are out of status. And when one is out of status USCIS will not allow you to convert to any other status. Talk to your lawyer to determine your options.

This is my opinion not legal advice.

Comment

How to apply for COS to B2/F1, while already having a valid F1/B2 visa

Originally posted by raghvi View Post
      You should have converted to F1 or B2 before your last working day . Technically if you are not getting paid you are out of status. And when one is out of status USCIS will not allow you to convert to any other status. Talk to your lawyer to determine your options.

This is my opinion not legal advice.
      Hi Raghvi,
      Thanks for your response.
      How do I convert to F1/B2 or how do I apply for that? I already have these VISAs- does that make a difference?

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
      X