Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ITIN for H4 Visa holder (spouse).

Hello there,

I recently got married and my wife accompanied me back to the states on H4 Visa during May. Could someone please guide me thru the process of getting her a State ID or a Drivers License?

I read about the process of applying for a ITIN number and then going to the Social Security Office to get a SSN denial letter. But, the ITIN process says, I need to have the tax return form of our joint filing. I have filed my taxes alone in April and I was not married then.

Can someone please help? Can I file the ITIN form for my wife and attach my tax returns with the application?

Thank you,
    Pramod Pradhan.

Anyone has any idea on this one? Please let me know as I don;t want to spend money going to these ITIN agents.

Thanks in advance.

Comment

Originally posted by cyanide View Post
      Hello there,

I recently got married and my wife accompanied me back to the states on H4 Visa during May. Could someone please guide me thru the process of getting her a State ID or a Drivers License?
      -- That depends on your state. Check the state's DMV website, it may be called something else in your state. dmv.org is also a good private resource.

I read about the process of applying for a ITIN number and then going to the Social Security Office to get a SSN denial letter. But, the ITIN process says, I need to have the tax return form of our joint filing. I have filed my taxes alone in April and I was not married then.
      -- ITIN can only be applied with a tax return. SSN denial letter (if required by your state) can be obtained by visiting the SSA office and applying for an SSN. ITIN has nothing to do with SSN denial letter.

Can someone please help? Can I file the ITIN form for my wife and attach my tax returns with the application? -- No, apply for ITIN next year when you file your returns.

Thank you,
      Pramod Pradhan.
      See above.
      This is my opinion and not legal advice.

Comment

ITIN for H4 Visa holder (spouse).

Hi,

I am on H4 visa and got my DL. You don't need any other documents for your wife apart from her passport which has got the visa or I-94 on it. However, as she's a dependent on you, you should carry your documents like your passport, H1B petition, bills to show where you live, a disk from the website and an affidavit to show that she's staying with you.

Comment

ITIN for H4 Visa holder (spouse).

Sorry, please read the above word disk as form. That's a typo. Thanks!

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
          X