H1 Visa renewal outside of US

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• H1 Visa renewal outside of US

I worked in US for 4.5 years in L1B visa and then converted to H1 visa, stayed for 6 months in H1 and moved out of US by March 2013. My approved (now stamped) H1 visa is valid until July 2014. If i stay out of US for one year and move back to US, Can i stay in US for a period of another 6 years by extending the H1 visa ?

Originally posted by raja.spr View Post
    I worked in US for 4.5 years in L1B visa and then converted to H1 visa, stayed for 6 months in H1 and moved out of US by March 2013. My approved (now stamped) H1 visa is valid until July 2014. If i stay out of US for one year and move back to US, Can i stay in US for a period of another 6 years by extending the H1 visa ?
    I am afraid not. One has to have a new petition filed AFTER staying outside US for 1 full year in order to get H1 for 6 Years again. So you would file in April 2014 with a start dat eof Oct 2014, and if that petition is approved, you can use that H1 for 6 Years.

This is my opinion not legal advice.

Comment

Thank you raghvi, so what happens if I enter US on April 2014. I won't be able to renew my visa even though I did not complete 6 years on H1, and move out of US on the expiry of current H1 visa?

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
      X