H4 to H1 and H4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• H4 to H1 and H4

I am in H1 in US , Currently My Wife has a H4 dependent Visa and is in India. Her employer from India is processing H1B and it has got selected in this year lottery and got approved. Her employer is telling that she might not be sent in Oct 1st 2013 as there are no opportunities this year. Now she has both H1 and H4 Visa stamped in passport. So my questions are

1st approach
    1. Can she travel on Oct 1 st with H4 Visa or should we file a Change of status from H1 to H4 and wait till we hear back from USCIS and then travel from India to US when the H4 is approved once again.
    2. Does she need to go for H4 stamping once again ( My H1 employer has not changed and her passport has my current H1 petition number valid through 2015)
    3. How much time does it take for her for Change of Status from H1 to H4.
    4. can we hold both H1 and H4 Visa while travelling back from India ( no change in employer)

2nd approach
    5. Once we have the Petition documents and a copy of 1-797 , Can we not get the H1 stamped so that she stays in H4 only . With this can she travel to US immediately.
    6. Once she gets an opportunity here , do we need to go for stamping for H1 once again or can she work with the new I-94 that will be provided to her with new opportunity.

Please let us know which approach will be good

Thanks in advance.

Since she is not in the US, she does not have any non-immigrant status. So there is nothing to be changed. Having a petition filed for you or having a particular Visa in your passport does not determine your status. Only traveling to US using a particular Visa determines the status.

She can use her H4 Visa to travel to US at any time. Her status will be H4 in that case.
    This is my opinion and not legal advice.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
    X