Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does H1B Cap apply to me....

Hello,

I came to the US in 2006 and was there untill 2011. My Visa stamping expired ins 2008; however I got the H1b extension first until 2011 and then until 2014. My 140 was approved.

So, I have approved H1B papaers until 31st march 2014.

I left US in January 2012 to pursue an MBA in India, which completed in 2013. Now, if I want to go back to the US:

1. Does the 65K cap apply to me (I have been out of the US for over 18 months)
    2. If a new employer (other than my previous employer) wants to hire me, can it or I can only go to my original employer?

Please help.

Vineet

You have used the complete quota of 6 years in the previous petitions. One important thing to know is whether your previous employer has withdrawn their I-140 or not. If not, you may be able to qualify for post-6 year extension based on the approved I-140. You will have to consult an experienced immigration attorney for this.
    This is my opinion and not legal advice.

Comment

Originally posted by kabkaba View Post
      You have used the complete quota of 6 years in the previous petitions. One important thing to know is whether your previous employer has withdrawn their I-140 or not. If not, you may be able to qualify for post-6 year extension based on the approved I-140. You will have to consult an experienced immigration attorney for this.
      Thanks for the response, yes I have used the initial 6 years, but I got an extension of another 3 years (total 9 years) based on my approved I-140. My extended H1b is until 31st march 2014. Would be great if you can throw some light.
      Last edited by tryingharder; 07-26-2013, 09:51 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by tryingharder View Post
        Hello,

I came to the US in 2006 and was there untill 2011. My Visa stamping expired ins 2008; however I got the H1b extension first until 2011 and then until 2014. My 140 was approved.

So, I have approved H1B papaers until 31st march 2014.

I left US in January 2012 to pursue an MBA in India, which completed in 2013. Now, if I want to go back to the US:

1. Does the 65K cap apply to me (I have been out of the US for over 18 months)
        2. If a new employer (other than my previous employer) wants to hire me, can it or I can only go to my original employer?

Please help.

Vineet
        1. You are not subject to the cap.
        2. If a new employer wants to hire you, the company must file a new H-1B petition transfer. You need to get a visa stamp and return after that new H-1B is approved. Even if you are returning to original employer, you will need to get a visa stamp first.

Comment

Originally posted by lisaanderson View Post
          1. You are not subject to the cap.
          2. If a new employer wants to hire you, the company must file a new H-1B petition transfer. You need to get a visa stamp and return after that new H-1B is approved. Even if you are returning to original employer, you will need to get a visa stamp first.
          Thanks for the response, can you please share the basis of your information. Would love to understand it.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
          X