Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Resign from company during H1B transfer under process. Need Advise

Hello,

I am working for company A on H1-B visa. Recently I got offer from company B which I accepted and company B is willing to transfer my H1-B visa. But meanwhile I lost my ( I have passport photocopies, I-797 and all the other documents). I have also applied for new passport in Indian consulate and it will take 3-4 weeks.

Company B is filing my H1-B transfer in premium processing by saying that I lost my passport and applied for new one. It usually takes 15 days to get result in premium processing.

1) Considering my scenario should I wait for my H1B trasfer to get approved before leaving/ resigning company A?? or 2) is it OK to resign from company A while H1-B transfer under process?

3) If I resign company A while my H1B transfer (premium processing) is in progress will I be in some risk of going out of status if my transfer gets delayed from USCIS or get RFE from USCIS about my passport?

Please advise me on this...

Thanks,
    Aniket

I would advise waiting until you get your passport to file the petition itself. If B has received advice from their lawyers that petition can be filed without the passport copy, they can go ahead, but I would not join B until I have approval notice with extension of status (new I-94) in hand.
    If the petition is denied or approved without I-94, and you have joined B at that point you risk being out of status.

Also, get a copy of your I-94 from the following website and submit it with the petition. (I assume you have lost your I-94 also)
    This is my opinion and not legal advice.

Comment

Thanks kabkaba! Yes! employer B has received advice from lawyers and already filed labor and it got approved and they are filing my H1B transfer (premium processing) in a day or two.
      My only issue is they have asked me to resign from my company (give 2 weeks notice period) and join in couple of weeks. Most likely I will get decision from USCIS within these 2 weeks.

Can you please tell me in what circumstances H1B is denied or approved without I-94? (I have submitted all the required documents necessary for H1B transfer along with copies of all my previous and current I-797. Also I have sent photo copies of my lost passport and stamped visa pages. Moreover I have submitted police report of my lost passport and receipt of newly applied passport from Indian consulate.)

Thanks,
      Aniket

Comment

If USCIS feels that you are not maintaining your status because of the lost passport or lost I-94, they may approve without I-94. If you are submitting all those documents, it seems unlikely, but just be aware of the risks.
        This is my opinion and not legal advice.

Comment

Originally posted by kabkaba View Post
          If USCIS feels that you are not maintaining your status because of the lost passport or lost I-94, they may approve without I-94. If you are submitting all those documents, it seems unlikely, but just be aware of the risks.
          Thank you so much @kabkaba.
          I will try not to resign my current employer (A) untill I get H1B transfer approval with extension of status (new I-94) from USCIS. Considering the situation, Hopefully I can request employer B to wait for couple of weeks to join until I get transfer approved.

Regards,
          Amit

Comment

Lost my I-94 and new company is asking me for H1- transfer docs

Hi guys,

I am working for an MNC in US for 2 years. Recently I got a new job and realized today that my I-94 is lost. I have all other documents for my H1 transfer. Now I have following 3 questions -

1. Can my H1-B transfer get rejected because of missing I-94 in the list of documents? Should I report this loss of I-94 to local county police?

2. I have to travel to UK in about a month for 15 days (with regard to business trip with my CURRENT company). Will I face any problem while getting the UK visa or while leaving/entering US in case I get UK visa?

3. My FUTURE employer will file H1 transfer in about a week from now (with premium processing). In case I get "Request For Evidence" on my H1 transfer and I am not in US at that time, can I safely enter US (since I will be having the approved H1 visa from my CURRENT employer)?

Thanks in advance!

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
            X