Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• H1B Visa - Consulate issue

Hi,

My employer has applied for H1B visa and got it approved. But in the visa approval document, it is mentioned that the consulate that i should go for stamping is Mumbai. Since i born, bought up and working in South India, idealy i have to go to Chennai consulate to stamp the visa.

In the visa approval notice, it is mentioned that, i have to submit I-824 form to change the consulate to Chennai. But when i searched in the net, many sites says, this may take upto 2yrs to process the form I-824.

When i contacted my employer, he said it is not an issue, his lawyer can write a mail saying that I can attend visa interview in Chennai consulate.

Can you please help me with your valuable advice?

Thanks,
    Sony

hi, u can still apply for the mumbai consulate, if u are working in western india for the past 6 months and you must mention a western india resiential address in the DS156 form. It doesnt matter, abt the place of education.

Otherwise, you may have to goto chennai or delhi consulate.

Wish you all the best.

Comment

H1B Visa - Consulate issue

Hi Ravikiran,

Many thanks for your reply.

Do you meant that, it is not an issue? Even if the consulate mentioned in the approval notice is Mumbai, I can very well go to chennai? no other formalities are required. Like, we may need to go to Chennai consulate in person and get them agree on my appearance in Chennai consulate instead of mumbai?

Thanks again.

Regards,
      Sony

Comment

Hi SonyJose,
        Your stamping consulate will depend upon the place where you reside currently. If it is different from what is mentioned in the Notice of Approval, just take a letter from the company or its attorney who petitioned for you indicating this change.
        VEENA
        (NOT LEGAL ADVICE)

Comment

H1B Visa - Consulate issue

Veena and Ravi,

Many thanks for your valuable advice.

Regards,
          Sony

Comment

I got H1B visa stamped last month from Chennai Consulate. Thanks for all your help...

But, there is an issue. There is one spelling mistake in the LAST NAME in the print of visa in the passport. This is middle charactor and is quite difficult to catch it. Since my passport and various forms(DS-156, DS-157 and tts entry details) are proper and in sync, this might be a mistake by the consulate while stamping the visa.

Can you please advie, this would be a problem in the port of entry?? Or Its ok to neglect it? Or is it easy to correct it?

Many Thanks,
            Sony

Comment

Did you take any letter with you to Chennai consulate???

Originally posted by sonyjose28
              I got H1B visa stamped last month from Chennai Consulate. Thanks for all your help...

But, there is an issue. There is one spelling mistake in the LAST NAME in the print of visa in the passport. This is middle charactor and is quite difficult to catch it. Since my passport and various forms(DS-156, DS-157 and tts entry details) are proper and in sync, this might be a mistake by the consulate while stamping the visa.

Can you please advie, this would be a problem in the port of entry?? Or Its ok to neglect it? Or is it easy to correct it?

Many Thanks,
              Sony

Comment

If applying for a H4 for spouse (living in, say, Chennai, area)... and I want to go to Delhi consulate, will that work?
                There is no attorney involved here, do I still need any documentation to justify the choice of consulate.

Thanx in advance.

Originally posted by veena_swsh
                Hi SonyJose,
                Your stamping consulate will depend upon the place where you reside currently. If it is different from what is mentioned in the Notice of Approval, just take a letter from the company or its attorney who petitioned for you indicating this change.

Comment

Originally posted by damndawg
                  If applying for a H4 for spouse (living in, say, Chennai, area)... and I want to go to Delhi consulate, will that work?
                  There is no attorney involved here, do I still need any documentation to justify the choice of consulate.

Thanx in advance.
                  No. Unfortunately, it applies only to cases of H1B like sony jose's
                  VEENA
                  (NOT LEGAL ADVICE)

Comment

No damndowg you cant do that. They will redirect you to the right consulate which would waste your time.
                    NOT A LEGAL ADVISER
                    USE IT AT YOUR RISK

STRONGLY BELIVE US VISA IS A LOTTERY WON BY MANY .

Comment

Hi damndawg,
                      You neednot carry any letter for the consulate change. ie, You are only entitled to go the consulate that falls under your stay for the last 6 months or more.

Hi All,
                      I got my H1B approved and shortly travelling to US.

Thanks a lot for all your help!! This is an excellent place where all who aiminng for any kind of visa.

Regards,
                      Sony

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                      X