Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Applying for H4 and planning to apply for H1 after moving to US

Hi,

My wife is moving to US with a H1 Visa by mid October '13. My 3 year daughter and I are planning to get the H4 and thinking to relocate to US by Feb or March'14. Is it possible for me to apply (COS) from H4 to H1 next year (2014 H1 quota)? I think I have to find an employer/consultant to sponsor me a employment for H1 visa application. My questions are;
    1) Is it better to apply for H1 after moving to the US or try to find a consultant from India and apply for H1 from India itself for 2014 quota in April'14?
    2) I hold a bachelor degree in commerce & advance diploma in management. I am certified SAP FI consultant but currently performing accounting & finance job in a software firm. Is my qualification and job profile holds good to apply for H1?
    3) Does my current qualification & certification helps me in getting a job or find a consultant for Job in the US to apply for H1 application?

I just want to know whether it's a good idea to resign my current job (where I am earning pretty decently) and relocate to US.

Your comments to my above questions are very much appreciated.

Thanks,
    Sriharhsa

Originally posted by sriharsha View Post
    Hi,

My wife is moving to US with a H1 Visa by mid October '13. My 3 year daughter and I are planning to get the H4 and thinking to relocate to US by Feb or March'14. Is it possible for me to apply (COS) from H4 to H1 next year (2014 H1 quota)? I think I have to find an employer/consultant to sponsor me a employment for H1 visa application. My questions are;
    1) Is it better to apply for H1 after moving to the US or try to find a consultant from India and apply for H1 from India itself for 2014 quota in April'14?
    2) I hold a bachelor degree in commerce & advance diploma in management. I am certified SAP FI consultant but currently performing accounting & finance job in a software firm. Is my qualification and job profile holds good to apply for H1?
    3) Does my current qualification & certification helps me in getting a job or find a consultant for Job in the US to apply for H1 application?

I just want to know whether it's a good idea to resign my current job (where I am earning pretty decently) and relocate to US.

Thanks,
    Sriharhsa
    Hello, Sriharhsa.

First of all, moving to US is a very individual decision. Every individual feels differently about different things. If you would like my opinion, US is far far advanced than India and we cannot even compare the supremely high quality of life there. You can Google India's Per Capita GDP, which should be around $1500, and USA's, which is around $50000. If that gives you a perspective. Once you have lived there for 6 months, you will feel the difference yourself.

In your case, i personally feel, H4 to H1 is best. I can understand, it will be difficult to assume a non working status, being cognizant of our cultural and social mindset. But, it is worth the price, i feel. It is very tricky to find someone to sponsor your H1 unless the skill matches and still there is a lot of headache. So, a lot of companies do not just want to sponsor H1, unless you are in the right company, right skill set, and right circumstances.

There are a lot of Desi IT consultancies who might be willing to sponsor your H1 once you are in USA on H4. But, they will not be interested if you are in India.

There are a plenty of opportunities there. Feel free to write again and perhaps i can share more of my thoughts.

I hope this helps.

Wishing you luck.

Cheers,
    Last edited by Nattybone; 09-22-2013, 05:48 AM.
    These are my personal thoughts. I am not a professional.

Wishing you luck.

Comment

Awesome! Thank you for your prompt feedback.

Comment

Awesome! Thank you for your prompt feedback.
        Hello, Sriharsha.

Glad to be of help. Also, i feel the number of India is higher than $1500, it is close to $4000, and US is correct at $50000. Still, a huge gap. But, sorry as i still have 2 different sources with different information (one showing $1200 and the other $4000. $4000 seems more accurate).

India : $3900
        India: $1200

Wishing you luck in the exciting times that lay ahead.

Cheers,

Wishing you luck.

Comment

Hi Nattybone,

Thank you! very happy to see more information flowing from your end.

Is it possible for you share details of good/trustworthy consultants or employers for whom I can contact for sponsoring my H1. Also will it be a good idea to study for around year in the US and then apply for the H1 through a consultant. Just want to do a proper homework before we proceed.

Appreciate your help on this regard.

Thanks,
          Sriharsha

Originally posted by Nattybone View Post
          Hello, Sriharsha.

Glad to be of help. Also, i feel the number of India is higher than $1500, it is close to $4000, and US is correct at $50000. Still, a huge gap. But, sorry as i still have 2 different sources with different information (one showing $1200 and the other $4000. $4000 seems more accurate).

India : $3900
          India: $1200

Wishing you luck in the exciting times that lay ahead.

Cheers,

Comment

Hi Nattybone,

Thank you! very happy to see more information flowing from your end.

Is it possible for you share details of good/trustworthy consultants or employers for whom I can contact for sponsoring my H1. Also will it be a good idea to study for around year in the US and then apply for the H1 through a consultant. Just want to do a proper homework before we proceed.

Appreciate your help on this regard.

Thanks,
            Sriharsha
            Hello, Sriharsha.

Which State are you going to settle in USA? I was in California when i was in USA, but now i am back in India. I could share California related information, if that helps you. I could also give ideas in general about things you can do - from a career perspective.

Cheers,

Wishing you luck.

Comment

Help required

Hi Nattybone,

I am exactly in the same situation.I am an HR professional with 3.5yrs experience with an MNC.Spouse travelling to US (Sacramento,California) on H1B, i would be travelling on H4 and then planning to apply for H1b there.Can you please help with the following queries?

1) How do i find a H1B sponsor in Sacramento? Do i need to apply in the Job portals?Will that help?
              2) How do i get the details of trustworthy consultants in this area who can sponsor H1B?
              3) What would be the approximate amount charged by the consultants?

Hi,

Thanks,
              Sriharhsa

Comment

Originally posted by Siresha View Post
                Hi Nattybone,

I am exactly in the same situation.I am an HR professional with 3.5yrs experience with an MNC.Spouse travelling to US (Sacramento,California) on H1B, i would be travelling on H4 and then planning to apply for H1b there.Can you please help with the following queries?

1) How do i find a H1B sponsor in Sacramento? Do i need to apply in the Job portals?Will that help?
                2) How do i get the details of trustworthy consultants in this area who can sponsor H1B?
                3) What would be the approximate amount charged by the consultants?
                Hello, Siresha.

Sacramento is a little too far, but Bay Area in California has a number of Desi IT Consultancies which can help you. Also, you will have to consider another career, as HR background is not sponsored for H1B. You can find the list of Desi IT Consultancies close to your house

Also, run a check for your prospective employer/sponsor before you let them sponsor your H1B. Majority Desi IT consultancies are a big pain and give the candidate a very hard time.

As per the norm, the sponsor/employer has to foot the bill for H1B visa but that does not happen with Desi IT consultancies. $3500 is H1B Filing Fee on Premium Processing (certain charges vary from company to company, companies having more than 25 H1Bs on their payroll have to pay higher fee) + $1000 is the attorney fee (again some attorneys charge higher, some lower). You could search for prevailing H1B filing charges on the net.

Hope this helps.

Wishing you luck.

Cheers,

Wishing you luck.

Comment

Hi Nattybone,

We are going to Tulsa, OK or Cincinnati, OH.

Tulsa, OK is the most probable place where we are going to settle. I am a finance professional and I am certified SAP FI consultant (I have not much of SAP exposure in my present job as I am handling employee relations i.e. payroll, expensify tool, travel, forex & vendor accounting). Knowledge of Tally & Quickbooks accounting software.

As I had stated earlier I hold a bachelor degree in commerce & diploma in business administration from NMIMS, Mumbai. Certification in SAP FI thru Siemens Information systems (now Atos).

I am thinking to search for a SAP FI consultant job in the US. But it might be an issue for me as I have not much exposure to on job SAP implementation. But getting refreshed on the subject is not an issue for me.

Can you please share your idea on demand for a finance job requirement in the US? I heard there will be quite bit of demand for SAP certified professionals.

Also, in worst case if won't get the COS from H4 to H1 in 2014, can I start studying in the US? Generally students from India clear GRE/GMAT to get admission for universities in US, does this apply if I me too??

Please share your ideas on a career perspective.

Thanks,
                  Sriharsha

Hello, Sriharsha.

Which State are you going to settle in USA? I was in California when i was in USA, but now i am back in India. I could share California related information, if that helps you. I could also give ideas in general about things you can do - from a career perspective.

Cheers,

Comment

Hi Nattybone,

We are going to Tulsa, OK or Cincinnati, OH.

Tulsa, OK is the most probable place where we are going to settle. I am a finance professional and I am certified SAP FI consultant (I have not much of SAP exposure in my present job as I am handling employee relations i.e. payroll, expensify tool, travel, forex & vendor accounting). Knowledge of Tally & Quickbooks accounting software.

As I had stated earlier I hold a bachelor degree in commerce & diploma in business administration from NMIMS, Mumbai. Certification in SAP FI thru Siemens Information systems (now Atos).

I am thinking to search for a SAP FI consultant job in the US. But it might be an issue for me as I have not much exposure to on job SAP implementation. But getting refreshed on the subject is not an issue for me.

Can you please share your idea on demand for a finance job requirement in the US? I heard there will be quite bit of demand for SAP certified professionals.

Also, in worst case if won't get the COS from H4 to H1 in 2014, can I start studying in the US? Generally students from India clear GRE/GMAT to get admission for universities in US, does this apply if I me too??

Please share your ideas on a career perspective.

Thanks,
                    Sriharsha
                    Hello, Sriharsha.

I am not from this particular background, but with Technology and Finance fields you will generally not be in too difficult a circumstance in USA. However, if you are unable to land something in your field (which i doubt given your background - be a little innovative, you might have to search for some time and face the visa sponsorship setback - there will be instances when companies will be unwilling to sponsor visa) but in case no one is willing to sponsor your visa as visa sponsored jobs are the ones considered to be with specialized knowledge (i think you should be able to find a sponsor on your own) then approach one of the Desi IT Consultancies and they will guide you with how they sponsor visas. I can share it too but it will help you if you do some research independently.

Further, you always have the F1 visa (Student visa) route open to you. You can always do a Change of Status (COS) from H4 to F1 or H4 to H1 etc. etc. Many Universities are not all that strict with their admission criteria. When i was in the Bay Area (California) in USA, i applied to a University (i did not go to USA on a F1 or H4 visa) and they did not ask for my scores in GMAT etc. (I gave them my IELTS score sheet, and my earlier MBA, Graduation etc documents) It was a small University, ofcourse. But, point being, the opportunity is there. Also, you can give all exams for F1 right from the US. No worries.

If there is one thing i could share from my experience that would be, Do not get hung up about a particular field or a particular career. Be open minded and try to support your spouse. When i had gone to US (long story how i went) i was quite uptight on what i will do and what i will not. There are many jobs in IT which with a little help of Desi IT consultancies, i could have got and it would have also helped my visa. And, these are good jobs (Project Management etc.) but i did not know many things and hence i was not as Open Minded. You should make it a point (if both you and your spouse like living in USA) to make a life there - for yourself and for your child and make small sacrifices for the larger picture.

Sorry for the monologue. I hope the information helps.

Wishing you luck.

Cheers,

Wishing you luck.

Comment

Thank you Nattybone,

I got your point. I will do some research about desi consultancies & will also try to find some employers. Also I am open to accept change in my career. I know a lot of people in the US are into different profession even though their education qualification if different from their current job profile.

My wife's petition got approved last year and H1 was approved till Dec 13. We rejected the offer to move to US during Jan 13, but now we have decided to relocate. Her company is now applied for extension beyond Dec 13 thru a premium processing. But due to US Govt. shut down the processing is struck. She is expected to get her Visa stamping done by early November.

Really appreciate your feedback for all my queries.

Thanks,
                      Sriharsha

Hello, Sriharsha.

I am not from this particular background, but with Technology and Finance fields you will generally not be in too difficult a circumstance in USA. However, if you are unable to land something in your field (which i doubt given your background - be a little innovative, you might have to search for some time and face the visa sponsorship setback - there will be instances when companies will be unwilling to sponsor visa) but in case no one is willing to sponsor your visa as visa sponsored jobs are the ones considered to be with specialized knowledge (i think you should be able to find a sponsor on your own) then approach one of the Desi IT Consultancies and they will guide you with how they sponsor visas. I can share it too but it will help you if you do some research independently.

Further, you always have the F1 visa (Student visa) route open to you. You can always do a Change of Status (COS) from H4 to F1 or H4 to H1 etc. etc. Many Universities are not all that strict with their admission criteria. When i was in the Bay Area (California) in USA, i applied to a University (i did not go to USA on a F1 or H4 visa) and they did not ask for my scores in GMAT etc. (I gave them my IELTS score sheet, and my earlier MBA, Graduation etc documents) It was a small University, ofcourse. But, point being, the opportunity is there. Also, you can give all exams for F1 right from the US. No worries.

If there is one thing i could share from my experience that would be, Do not get hung up about a particular field or a particular career. Be open minded and try to support your spouse. When i had gone to US (long story how i went) i was quite uptight on what i will do and what i will not. There are many jobs in IT which with a little help of Desi IT consultancies, i could have got and it would have also helped my visa. And, these are good jobs (Project Management etc.) but i did not know many things and hence i was not as Open Minded. You should make it a point (if both you and your spouse like living in USA) to make a life there - for yourself and for your child and make small sacrifices for the larger picture.

Sorry for the monologue. I hope the information helps.

Wishing you luck.

Cheers,

Comment

Please suggest some desi IT Companies

Hi Nattybone,
                        It was really good information and comments being shared. I just wanted to know some of the desi IT Companies or other companies that sponsor H1 Visas. I'm on H1B but I wanted to apply for my spouse who is on H4. It will be really if you kindly provide me some companies who sponsor H1 Visas.

Thanks and Regards,
                        Ashish Puri

Hello, Sriharhsa.

First of all, moving to US is a very individual decision. Every individual feels differently about different things. If you would like my opinion, US is far far advanced than India and we cannot even compare the supremely high quality of life there. You can Google India's Per Capita GDP, which should be around $1500, and USA's, which is around $50000. If that gives you a perspective. Once you have lived there for 6 months, you will feel the difference yourself.

In your case, i personally feel, H4 to H1 is best. I can understand, it will be difficult to assume a non working status, being cognizant of our cultural and social mindset. But, it is worth the price, i feel. It is very tricky to find someone to sponsor your H1 unless the skill matches and still there is a lot of headache. So, a lot of companies do not just want to sponsor H1, unless you are in the right company, right skill set, and right circumstances.

There are a lot of Desi IT consultancies who might be willing to sponsor your H1 once you are in USA on H4. But, they will not be interested if you are in India.

There are a plenty of opportunities there. Feel free to write again and perhaps i can share more of my thoughts.

I hope this helps.

Wishing you luck.

Cheers,

Comment

require Company list for H4 in NJ / NY area

Hi guys

I am currently in the NJ area , my wife just came to US around 3 months ago on H4 ,back in INDIA she had 2 years of Java Developement experience. would you guys be able to suggest good desi consultants for IT who might apply for H1 in the NJ area for her in coming April

I also want to ask about out of state consultants , as its generally not necessary to have the consultant in the same state as you live

any recommendations / pointers would be greatly appreciated

thanks
                          Param

Comment

need suggestion

Hi,

I am also on the same situation. My spouse is working in Minneapolis in H1 and I am going to resign my current job and planning to find a consultancy to convert my H4 to H1 visa. I am having around 7 years of experience in Datawarehousing domain especially in DataModelling, ETL(Datastage, SSIS),SQL, Unix etc.

Could you please let me know whether I get a sponser in US?
                            Approximately how much I need to pay for it?
                            Is there any lot system if I apply from US? Ifs it there and my visa application got rejected, then the consultancy will refund the amount?
                            What are the necessary documents which I need to collect from consultancy once they accepts my application, documents and money?

Please help and provide your valuable suggestions.

Thanks in advance
                            MUS

Thank you Nattybone,

I got your point. I will do some research about desi consultancies & will also try to find some employers. Also I am open to accept change in my career. I know a lot of people in the US are into different profession even though their education qualification if different from their current job profile.

My wife's petition got approved last year and H1 was approved till Dec 13. We rejected the offer to move to US during Jan 13, but now we have decided to relocate. Her company is now applied for extension beyond Dec 13 thru a premium processing. But due to US Govt. shut down the processing is struck. She is expected to get her Visa stamping done by early November.

Really appreciate your feedback for all my queries.

Thanks,
                            Sriharsha

Comment

Hi,

I have a background in DWH for 5 years. After shifting to US on H4, I am finding difficulty in contacting good consultancies. Can you please help me find a few who can sponsor my H1B from your experience?

Regards,
                              Antara

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                              X