Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F1-H1B issue

Hello all,

I have completed my MS(Chem Engg) in US in 2003 and returned back to India in June 2004. My current F1 visa stamping in passport still has a validity upto July 2006. But currently, I have been approved of my H1 petition(with job as a Chem Engr with an US Engg consultancy firm) with start date of July 14th 2005.

1.Please tell me whether or not the approval of H1B petition automatically revokes my F1 visa(which is valid until July 2006).
    2.Can I travel to US on the same valid F1 visa(provided that it is not revoked due to H1 petition approval) with a new I-20 from a different school , and later upon reaching US, can I transfer my status from F1 to H1.?

3.Also, when I came to India, I started a small company dealing in Chemicals sector, for which even now I am one of the directors for that company. For the work experience purpose during visa stamping , can I show the VO that I am one of the directors of the company, or please suggest as to how best I can potray to the VO about my work-ex with my company.

Thanks and best,
    Raj

As soon as you completed your coursework from a US university your F1 status is over. not because you took an H1B (that too). Doesnt matter if the visa is valid. We should not mistake Visa and status. Status is more important than visa. Once you enter US the visa is as good as useless peice of paper. So there is no question of you acoming back on that old F1.

Now if you get a new I-20 of a new school you cannot use the old F1 because the F1 is offered for a particular school. just like the H1B is. You will have to apply again for a new f1 visa and you will have to convince the VO why do you wanna go back to the US when you ahve just completed a
    Masters unless you get accepted for a PHd course or sumthing like that.

What you do to convince the VO about your legitimacy to come back depends on your ingenuity and talking skills.....so yeah it would help to show why you wann come back if you are the president of a company.

Comment

Kulbiker,

Thanks for the reply.
      Recently, one of my friends who had been to US on an F1 visa and has returned back to India at the same time as I, went again to US to do her PhD this August(2005) on her old F1 visa with new I-20. So I am assuming that I can travel to US with the old F1 visa. The only thing I am concerned about is whether or not this F1 visa validity would cease because my H1 petition(which is essesntially a single entry H1 visa) has been approved.

Also, I want to know as to how smooth is the F1-H1 transfer, once I am in US.

Regarding my work-ex as director of my company, is it mandatory for me to show my pay stubs, cos I don't recieve my salary from my company on a regular basis.

Thanks,
      Raj

Comment

F1-H1B and H1B stamping query

Hello all,

I have completed my MS(Chem Engg) in US in 2003 and returned back to India in June 2004. My current F1 visa stamping in passport still has a validity upto July 2006. But currently, I have been approved of my H1 petition(with job as a Chem Engr with an US Engg consultancy firm) with start date of July 14th 2005.

Recently, one of my friends who had been to US on an F1 visa and has returned back to India at the same time as I, went again to US to do her PhD this August(2005) on her old F1 visa with new I-20. So I am assuming that I can travel to US with the old F1 visa. The main thing I am concerned about is whether or not this F1 visa validity would cease because my H1 petition(which is essesntially a single entry H1 visa) has been approved.

1.Please tell me whether or not the approval of H1B petition (which is essesntially a single entry H1 visa)automatically revokes my F1 visa(which is valid until July 2006).

2.Can I travel to US on the same valid F1 visa(provided that it is not revoked due to H1 petition approval) with a new I-20 from a different school , and later upon reaching US, can I transfer my status from F1 to H1.?

Recently, one of my friends who had been to US on an F1 visa and has returned back to India at the same time as I, went again to US to do her PhD this August(2005) on her old F1 visa with new I-20. So I am assuming that I can travel to US with the old F1 visa. Am I correct?

Also, I want to know as to how smooth is the F1-H1 transfer, once I am in US.

3.Also, when I came to India, I started a small company dealing in Chemicals sector, for which even now I am one of the directors for that company. For the work experience purpose during visa stamping , can I show the VO that I am one of the directors of the company, or please suggest as to how best I can potray to the VO about my work-ex with my company.

Regarding my work-ex as director of my company, is it mandatory for me to show my pay stubs, cos I don't recieve my salary from my company on a regular basis.

Thanks and best,
        Raj

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
        X