Mixed Insurance Banners Health Insurance for Visitors to USA

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SSN without US stamping (lost passport in USA)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SSN without US stamping (lost passport in USA)

Hi All,

Mine could be a very rare and a unique case. Request you to suggest what can be done in my case.

I entered US in Nov 2013 and lost my Indian passport (along with original I-797, infact my whole bag was stolen) during the thanksgiving weekend. I filed a police complaint and applied for a duplicate passport with Chicago Indian consulate. It would take anything between 6 to 8 weeks for them to process my application.

I have not applied for SSN before my passport was lost. Now do I need to go back to India with my new passport and get it stamped and come back to apply for an SSN. What I was led to believe is in order to apply for an SSN, we need Indian passport, H1B stamping on it and I 94.

I have the following queries. Request your time to clarify and guide me.

1. Do I need to go to India for stamping once again. Will I be able to get my passport restamped without the original I 797.
    2. Can I apply for an SSN once my new passport is collected. The new passport will not have the H1B stamping.

Please help.

Thanks,
    Gautam

Originally posted by gautham091986 View Post
    Hi All,

Mine could be a very rare and a unique case. Request you to suggest what can be done in my case.

I entered US in Nov 2013 and lost my Indian passport (along with original I-797, infact my whole bag was stolen) during the thanksgiving weekend. I filed a police complaint and applied for a duplicate passport with Chicago Indian consulate. It would take anything between 6 to 8 weeks for them to process my application.

I have not applied for SSN before my passport was lost. Now do I need to go back to India with my new passport and get it stamped and come back to apply for an SSN. What I was led to believe is in order to apply for an SSN, we need Indian passport, H1B stamping on it and I 94.

1. Do I need to go to India for stamping once again. Will I be able to get my passport restamped without the original I 797.
    2. Can I apply for an SSN once my new passport is collected. The new passport will not have the H1B stamping.

Please help.

Thanks,
    Gautam
    I am afraid you would have to apply for new visa. But you should be able to stay till the I-94. You can get a I797 Copy too. I-94 copy also should be able get.

This is my opinion not legal advice.
    Last edited by raghvi; 01-08-2014, 06:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by raghvi View Post
      I am afraid you would have to apply for new visa.

USA Visa FAQ - general FAQ related to USA non-immigrant visas

But I am in US currently. Do I need to go back to India for stamping. Please suggest.

Comment

But I am in US currently. Do I need to go back to India for stamping. Please suggest.

As per that you can stay on H1 status as long as current I-94 is valid. So I dotn think you need to travel. Also, you can get I797 Copy

Comment

Originally posted by raghvi View Post

As per that you can stay on H1 status as long as current I-94 is valid. So I dotn think you need to travel. Also, you can get I797 Copy http://www.us-immigration.com/form-I...lace-I-797.jsp

Thank you. So unless I get my new visa stamped, I wont be able to apply for the passport. Is my understanding correct.

Comment

Thank you. So unless I get my new visa stamped, I wont be able to apply for the passport. Is my understanding correct.
            ??? Where did you get that from? On what will you get the visa stamped? You first need to get another passport.

New stamping will happen only outside US.

Comment

ivar29

Hi All,

Please help.

Thanks,
              Gautam

can you please contact to me my email id is [email protected]
              i also same situation i lost my original i797 document.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
              X