Woman on H1, need to divorce husband on H4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Woman on H1, need to divorce husband on H4

I am a woman, working on an H1 in the US. My husband and my seven year old son live with me, who are both on an H4. I have always had issues with my husband since our marriage. He lied to us and married me when he had no job, but claimed that he was working as an HR in a company. I am harassed physically , mentally and monetarily. All the money that I have earned has been spent to pay his debts off. He tries to assume control over everything , although he is incapable . He is a maniac. I have put with this person for nearly 10 years.

I have had enough of him. I want to lead a simple life with my son. I want to divorce my husband. I need advice on how to approach this. I don't know how much a divorce would cost me.

Am also worried about my security when I break the news about the divorce to him. How do I deal with this.

How is the whole divorce scenario going to play out. Since he is a dependant, will I have to pay for his lawyer as well ?

If I go to the cops about this, will he be jailed and deported ?

Hello, Lobsbee.

I am sorry to learn about your anguish. While this is your personal matter, as regards visa, do consult an attorney.

You need to figure out child custody (Very important), Maintenance for your husband (Important) and if due to this separation, he is made to leave the country - he can, if he desires, make life very very difficult for you. E.g.: He could say (at US consulate in his home country) that due to visa restrictions, he is not able to meet his child in USA.

So, consult an attorney and figure out the outcomes. If possible, try hanging out till everyone has a Green Card - (Yes, you might have to help him with the Green Card) and then decide. But, no harm starting to learn about options and scenarios.

Also, if possible, do try to resolve the matter with your husband. I am sorry once again, and i wish you peace and happiness in life.

Cheers,

Originally posted by [email protected] View Post
    I am a woman, working on an H1 in the US. My husband and my seven year old son live with me, who are both on an H4. I have always had issues with my husband since our marriage. He lied to us and married me when he had no job, but claimed that he was working as an HR in a company. I am harassed physically , mentally and monetarily. All the money that I have earned has been spent to pay his debts off. He tries to assume control over everything , although he is incapable . He is a maniac. I have put with this person for nearly 10 years.

I have had enough of him. I want to lead a simple life with my son. I want to divorce my husband. I need advice on how to approach this. I don't know how much a divorce would cost me.

Am also worried about my security when I break the news about the divorce to him. How do I deal with this.

How is the whole divorce scenario going to play out. Since he is a dependant, will I have to pay for his lawyer as well ?

If I go to the cops about this, will he be jailed and deported ?
    These are my personal thoughts. I am not a professional.

Wishing you luck.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
    X