Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• H1B picked in lottery and F1 visa approved

Hello,

I have a problem here..My student visa got approved yesterday and got the news that my petition for H1B was picked for the FY2014-2015. I really had no hopes on the work visa petition being picked this year as there were 172500 applications and high rate of rejections(51%).But then since I was fortunate enough to be selected in those 50% i would like to go for H1B as I know the problems I would face if I dont get my H1B after my F1 and the OPT and OPT extension period is exhausted.

So will it be safe to go with my F1 and then ask for Change of Status to H1B.(My school starts in August and there is no option to defer and my work visa would start only by October)

Second question: Can I still study with my H1B status? I would be granted work visa for an year so in my case how will my study plan(2 years) be affected by this??( I have no idea how the H1B extension works)

Thanks,

****ha

H1B picked in lottery and F1 visa approved

Where are you currently located ?

Comment

Originally posted by kadkhiq81 View Post
      Where are you currently located ?
      India

- - - Updated - - -

India

Comment

I would recommend you to proceed with F1 if you cannot defer your admission. Remember, your H1 petition has just got selected only in the lottery and it does not guarantee that would get approve. Even if that approve, you have 6 years of validity and you can apply COS to H1 anytime after your course completion.

If you want to come here on your H1, then you have to go for H1 visa interview once it is approved. They might cancel your F1 when you appear for PI.

It is purely depend on what you want to do here in the US and on which visa you would like to travel on.

Think twice and take a wise decision. Best wishes!!

This is my opinion.

Comment

Thanks for the suggestion !!

I had few more queries..

1) In what cases a H1b can be rejected?(employer and my profile are genuine)

2) My university does not have an option to defer but I can always apply to the same course again and get an admit (pretty sure I will get an admit again). So in this case can I go ahead and wait till my H1B process is over? Then go for a COS?

3) How long will it take for H1 approval and VI interview (min and max margins will help)? I heard once the lottery is done by June end or July 1st week, the approvals might take anywhere between 2-6 months.Is this true? If so, can I assume the whole process will be done by Dec-Jan?? Or will it extend till beyond that?

4) If everything goes fine and I get a H1b and later want to study can I get a f1 again?

Sorry for asking a lot of questions. I have no one to guide me in this case and I dont want to take a decision and repent later.
          Thank You in advance!

Comment

"Remember, your H1 petition has just got selected only in the lottery and it does not guarantee that would get approve. Even if that approve, you have 6 years of validity and you can apply COS to H1 anytime after your course completion."

Sorry I didnt completely understand this.

How can H1 be approved after I go for my studies. Going on f1 would leave me with 2 options either resign or request for a sabbatical. If I resign then I cannot proceed with the H1 process for sure. I had a discussion with my employer and even if I go on a sabbatical my H1 process would be cancelled. Is this true? Or was it a trick to hold me back?

Thanks!

Comment

You have only below two options left out,

1. Continue with the current employer until you get the H1 decision. As I said, there is no guarantee for the approval of the petition and you still have to go for a visa stamping even if the petition approved.

2. If you do not have any financial constraints to study in the US, then you can go for it. As you have approved visa already and can travel here without any issues. You can apply for H1 every year until you get it if you have an employer to do that.

This is my opinion

Comment

Originally posted by anushag7 View Post
                Hello,

I have a problem here..My student visa got approved yesterday and got the news that my petition for H1B was picked for the FY2014-2015. I really had no hopes on the work visa petition being picked this year as there were 172500 applications and high rate of rejections(51%).But then since I was fortunate enough to be selected in those 50% i would like to go for H1B as I know the problems I would face if I dont get my H1B after my F1 and the OPT and OPT extension period is exhausted.

So will it be safe to go with my F1 and then ask for Change of Status to H1B.(My school starts in August and there is no option to defer and my work visa would start only by October)

Second question: Can I still study with my H1B status? I would be granted work visa for an year so in my case how will my study plan(2 years) be affected by this??( I have no idea how the H1B extension works)

Thanks,

****ha

-- I am in the same boat. Can you guide how did you finally tackle this situation? Can someone apply for CoS after few months on joining college.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                X