Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ECR to ECNR

Hi,
    I am not sure if I am posting the question in the right forum.

My wife is on H4 Visa and she is planning to go to school on H4 visa. She had got her passport renewed from India and the expiry year is 2021. She is a graduate and had her passport renewed after her graduation. Unfortunately she got ECR stamped on her passport and nobody noticed that. It should have been ECNR but the passport agency or the passport office made an error resulting in the ECR stamp.

Does anyone know if this ECR stamp is an issue in terms of her going to school here in US and secondly does it conflict with any immigration policies?

I have been trying to reach the Indian embassy here, but they say that I have to contact BLS International. But this agency is absolutely pathetic because they never reply back to your email and you can't reach them either.

Do you know the process for this ECR conversion to ECNR? Earlier they used to stamp "Deleted on the ECR stamp" but now all passports have the 2nd page blank meaning it is ECNR.

I'll appreciate any help on this.

Thanks.

It's India's stamp and problem. They used this system to interview labourers (emigration check required) who went to Dubai etc. This was to confirm that the employment is genuine and the labourers won't be exploited once on foreign soil. I don't think India uses this system anymore. The U.S. has nothing to do with it. You'll be fine.

Comment

Originally posted by lekkerbek View Post
      It's India's stamp and problem. They used this system to interview labourers (emigration check required) who went to Dubai etc. This was to confirm that the employment is genuine and the labourers won't be exploited once on foreign soil. I don't think India uses this system anymore. The U.S. has nothing to do with it. You'll be fine.
      Thanks lekkerbek.
      India still uses ECR but its mostly for middle east and few other countries. It's mentioned below the ECR stamp. I just wanted to find out if that would have any immigration issues in US. The schools are not concerned with those stamps. But I remember someone telling me that with the ECR stamps you are not allowed to work or study in US. I tried finding information online but found nothing specifically that says you can study or work in US even if you have ECR stamp on the passport.
      I called up BLS International (outsourced agency for passport services), but no one there knows about it. I was told we have never heard about such a case and that they need to contact Indian embassy in India etc etc. Basically no use from them.

Comment

Originally posted by arm13 View Post
        Thanks lekkerbek.
        India still uses ECR but its mostly for middle east and few other countries. It's mentioned below the ECR stamp. I just wanted to find out if that would have any immigration issues in US. The schools are not concerned with those stamps. But I remember someone telling me that with the ECR stamps you are not allowed to work or study in US. I tried finding information online but found nothing specifically that says you can study or work in US even if you have ECR stamp on the passport.
        I called up BLS International (outsourced agency for passport services), but no one there knows about it. I was told we have never heard about such a case and that they need to contact Indian embassy in India etc etc. Basically no use from them.
        You can call this toll free number in india & check 1800-258-1800 or you can file an RTI thru online & get the details

Comment

Originally posted by snehanew View Post
          You can call this toll free number in india & check 1800-258-1800 or you can file an RTI thru online & get the details

http://passportindia.gov.in/AppOnlin...ct/pdf/RTI.pdf
          Thanks Snehanew...
          I had emailed the consul in Indian embassy. I was told "you can either reissue a passport or we will give you an observation in the existing passport". I am trying to figure what she meant by "giving an observation in the existing passport".

Comment

Originally posted by arm13 View Post
            Thanks Snehanew...
            I had emailed the consul in Indian embassy. I was told "you can either reissue a passport or we will give you an observation in the existing passport". I am trying to figure what she meant by "giving an observation in the existing passport".
            You can better go for a new passport

Comment

ECR to ECNR

If you are visiting like USA Canada there is no meaning of ECR/ECNR you are good to go

Comment

Should I get clearance for ECR

Hey guys,

I have an renewed Indian passport, issued in 2015 in Mumbai which has ECR stamp on it. However, as I have applied for Canadian student visa and probably will be leaving for studies in Canada early September, I wanted to know whether I should get ECR clearance. If I do, how should I proceed with it.

Comment

Originally posted by countdooku View Post
                  Hey guys,

I have an renewed Indian passport, issued in 2015 in Mumbai which has ECR stamp on it. However, as I have applied for Canadian student visa and probably will be leaving for studies in Canada early September, I wanted to know whether I should get ECR clearance. If I do, how should I proceed with it.
                  As per a recent ruling, one needs to have some minimum insurance cover if one has an ECR stamp. Don't know if it applies to Canada travel.

This is my opinion not legal advice.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                  X