Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• valid date after H1-B transfer

Hi -

I have a question that confused me a lot.

I got my H1-B from Oct 2011 to Oct 2014. Then I transferred my H1-B to a new employer earlier this year. The I797 I got for the H1-B transfer shows my new valid date date is Mar 2014 to Oct 2015 (new I-94 also valid to Oct 2015).

It looks like I got another one year with the H1-B transfer. Does that mean a extension of stay? Do I still have the ability / chance to extend another 3 years or 2 years?

Thanks

Originally posted by Daniel Zhang View Post
    Hi -

I have a question that confused me a lot.

I got my H1-B from Oct 2011 to Oct 2014. Then I transferred my H1-B to a new employer earlier this year. The I797 I got for the H1-B transfer shows my new valid date date is Mar 2014 to Oct 2015 (new I-94 also valid to Oct 2015).

It looks like I got another one year with the H1-B transfer. Does that mean a extension of stay? Do I still have the ability / chance to extend another 3 years or 2 years?

Thanks
    Seems you already spent Oct 2011 to Mar 2014 on H1 with earlier Employer and would be spending March 2014 till Oct 2015 in H1 status with next employer. This means by Oct 2015 you would have spent total of 4 Years in US in H1 status.

As H1 is for a max 6 Years, that would translate into you having a possibility of extending H1 for another 2 Years, provided current or any other employer can prove the ability to provide you work and pay for that duration.

Of course, if your GC is filed, situation would have to be re assessed.

This is my opinion not legal advice.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
    X