URGENT Passport expiring - upcoming trip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• URGENT Passport expiring - upcoming trip

I have renewed my H1 visa recently. I have already made plans to go to India in Nov, and get it stamped, and come back by the end of Dec. But my passport is expiring March of next year, which falls within the six month window. What are my options in renewing passport before leaving? Has anyone faced similar issue, please share your experience?

Originally posted by aselvan07 View Post
    I have renewed my H1 visa recently. I have already made plans to go to India in Nov, and get it stamped, and come back by the end of Dec. But my passport is expiring March of next year, which falls within the six month window. What are my options in renewing passport before leaving? Has anyone faced similar issue, please share your experience?
    You could have renewed passport as early as March 2014. Nonetheless, I don't see any immediate issue in visa stamping unless the passport has some damage. One sure thing you have to remember is that upon your return in Dec, you would be given an I-94 only till March 2015, and would have to file for I-94 extension after renewing the passport.

To avoid the I-94 extension legal cost as well as stress after returning , it might be a good Idea to get passport renewed in US or India before going for stamping. They used to do tatkaal passport processing in US, check if they still have that option. It may cost, but you will avoid the I-94 extension cost as well as the stress later on.

This is my opinion not legal advice.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
    X