Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• H1B-selective service registration letter

HI
    I entered US on H1-b visa in August 2014, today i got a letter from Selective service system saying my registration was successful and I even got some selective service number and card along with it. Card also has last for digits of my SSN printed on it. But I don’t remember registering for it.
    It is also mentioned in that letter that "For Non-Immigrant Aliens: If you are on a valid visa and believe that you were registered in error, send this entire form and a copy of your I-94, I95A, or Border Crossing Card(DSP-150) to: Selective Service System, P.O. Box 94638,Palatine,Illinois 60094-4638"
    They are just asking me to send the docs if I am a Non-Immigrant Aliens, but they did not mention any deregistration if i am one.
    1) Will H1-b comes under Non-Immigrant Alien category?
    2) Is this some kind of scam?
    3) Can H1-B holders good to register with selective service system or is it illegal?
    4) Is it good/safe to send all the above mentioned docs to the address provided?
    5) What will happen if I neglect to send the documents to Selective service system?

Please provide your suggestions.
    Thanks in advance

Originally posted by krishna2408 View Post
    HI
    I entered US on H1-b visa in August 2014, today i got a letter from Selective service system saying my registration was successful and I even got some selective service number and card along with it. Card also has last for digits of my SSN printed on it. But I don’t remember registering for it.
    It is also mentioned in that letter that "For Non-Immigrant Aliens: If you are on a valid visa and believe that you were registered in error, send this entire form and a copy of your I-94, I95A, or Border Crossing Card(DSP-150) to: Selective Service System, P.O. Box 94638,Palatine,Illinois 60094-4638"
    They are just asking me to send the docs if I am a Non-Immigrant Aliens, but they did not mention any deregistration if i am one.
    1) Will H1-b comes under Non-Immigrant Alien category?
    2) Is this some kind of scam?
    3) Can H1-B holders good to register with selective service system or is it illegal?
    4) Is it good/safe to send all the above mentioned docs to the address provided?
    5) What will happen if I neglect to send the documents to Selective service system?

Please provide your suggestions.
    Thanks in advance
    Read below to understand more.

This is my opinion not legal advice.

Comment

Hi raghvi,

Thanks for your response. I went through the link and found H1B comes under Non-immigrant category and they are exempt from registering to selective service.
      So i believe it is up-to to the person for registering to it or not and i guess person with H1-B can have selective service card and it is not illegal.(please correct me if i am wrong)

Now should i worry about de-registration? Having an extra card is not a big deal for me as far as it doesn't create any problems in future.
      What max can happen if i neglect to un-register? Will they force me to join military when needed?

thanks
      krishna

Comment

SSS de-registration

Hi raghvi/Krishna,

I too have the same problem, but the only difference is, I am with L1-B

Now should i worry about de-registration? Having an extra card is not a big deal for me as far as it doesn't create any problems in future.
        What max can happen if i neglect to un-register? Will they force me to join military when needed?

thanks
        Harisankar

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
        X