From H4 to F1 back to H4?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• From H4 to F1 back to H4?

I am a 19 year old Indian citizen living in America on H4 dependent visa. I am dependent on my dad who has H1 visa and MIGHT get his greencard within the next couple of years or even in a year or so.

I am a sophomore in an American university and since I can't do campus jobs or internships on my H4 visa, would like to switch to F1 visa. I wanted to be on F1 status only temporarily though because I want to switch back to H4 once my dad's greencard starts getting processed so I can get the greencard.

So my question is: If I'm already enrolled in a university, how easy is it to switch from H4 to F1? Also, CAN I switch back from F1 to H4 once I know I will get the greencard soon? If I can, what are the chances of me getting the H4 again?

I do know, the chances of me getting the greencard only exist till I am 21.

Originally posted by dagarw View Post
    I am a 19 year old Indian citizen living in America on H4 dependent visa. I am dependent on my dad who has H1 visa and MIGHT get his greencard within the next couple of years or even in a year or so.

I am a sophomore in an American university and since I can't do campus jobs or internships on my H4 visa, would like to switch to F1 visa. I wanted to be on F1 status only temporarily though because I want to switch back to H4 once my dad's greencard starts getting processed so I can get the greencard.

So my question is: If I'm already enrolled in a university, how easy is it to switch from H4 to F1? Also, CAN I switch back from F1 to H4 once I know I will get the greencard soon? If I can, what are the chances of me getting the H4 again?

I do know, the chances of me getting the greencard only exist till I am 21.
    It certainly not going to be easy getting a F1 with a pending GC as F1 typically demands that there is no intent to immigrate to US.

This is my opinion not legal advice.

Comment

Originally posted by raghvi View Post
      It certainly not going to be easy getting a F1 with a pending GC as F1 typically demands that there is no intent to immigrate to US.

I don't have a pending GC. If I do get the F1, how hard would it be to go back to H4?

Comment

You may not have one pending , but they would know that your father is on the verge of getting it, and once he gets it he can certainly file for you too. Suggest you speak to a lawyer.

Comment

You may not have one pending , but they would know that your father is on the verge of getting it, and once he gets it he can certainly file for you too. Suggest you speak to a lawyer.

My father's P.D. is not current so he has still not applied for I485. Would that count as GC in process?

Comment

In that case, I believe it would not , so you can try your luck with F1. As for F1 back to H4, if you cross 21 you would not be eligible for H4.

Comment

In that case, I believe it would not , so you can try your luck with F1. As for F1 back to H4, if you cross 21 you would not be eligible for H4.

What about from F1 back to H4 before I turn 21?

Comment

Originally posted by dagarw View Post
                What about from F1 back to H4 before I turn 21?
                Should be possible if your father is maintaining valid H1 status.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                X